1973 Leyland Mini S to EV Conversion

Announcement - Help us fight the BOTS! Please report all spam including stuff in your inbox!

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,659
Come to me Peter. I got a full workshop
Tig welder
Mig welder
stig welder
drills and grinders in all sizes
car hoist
presses and tons of tools
paint booth.

I dont have lathe though but all other basically :D
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Sounds like a dream workshop!
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
A week in and my lack of self-control spending is starting to show. Luckily my wallet lacks stamina artificially slowing the process.

 

Oz18650

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
199
hbpowerwall said:
Oz18650 said:
This looks like a great project!

It is constantly on my mind... I just want to get right to 'fixing it' but the dam postman is slow and the bank balance is weak.

I like this project so much that I am going to make another little donation to your bank balance to help it along.
Edit: Done! I have added a little to your PayPal account
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Oz18650 said:
hbpowerwall said:
Oz18650 said:
This looks like a great project!

It is constantly on my mind... I just want to get right to 'fixing it' but the dam postman is slow and the bank balance is weak.

I like this project so much that I am going to make another little donation to your bank balance to help it along.
Edit: Done! I have added a little to your PayPal account
Received with thanks!
 

Wayne's World

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
86
If only it were an old Holden... I could help with SO SO many parts.
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Wayne\ said:
If only it were an old Holden... I could help with SO SO many parts.

Old holden parts are getting harder to come by now in good condition. Got a few do you?
 

Wayne's World

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
86
hbpowerwall said:
Wayne\ said:
If only it were an old Holden... I could help with SO SO many parts.

Old holden parts are getting harder to come by now in good condition. Got a few do you?
Sadly, I have 3 67 HR Holdens in the backyard in various states of DIS-repair. I had plans for a 4 bay shed 15 years ago when I moved in but it never happened :/ I do have a 'shed-load' of spares in a shipping container (also in the backyard). I am the Bracken Ridge Bogan!
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Day one stats of the Mini build stats with 15 new subscribers and an extra $7.15 added to the build budget.
Spend so far is about $7000 .... I'm bang on target to sleep on the couch soon lol

image_zyghmw.jpg

New roof liner arrived as well as some bulldog clips & got the boot and cabin vacuumed and cleaned out.

image_vobahf.jpgimage_anndty.jpg

image_xugozx.jpg


Also had a chance to sort through all the parts we got with the car. Was hoping for some hidden gems but it's all just standard mini stuff. We have decided to store most of the spare parts with just a handful of parts being useful for the ev conversion. Parts will all be cleaned up quickly, oiled, then put into storage.

image_eollwf.jpg

image_ukajrk.jpg



Still looking for :
  1. Good front seats - either original or Classic Recaros
  2. Good front bumper
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,522
hbpowerwall said:
Spend so far is about $7000 .... I'm bang on target to sleep on the couch soon lol

Hahah, just put the couch next to the mini :p

hbpowerwall said:
Also had a chance to sort through all the parts we got with the car. Was hoping for some hidden gems but it's all just standard mini stuff. We have decided to store most of the spare parts with just a handful of parts being useful for the ev conversion. Parts will all be cleaned up quickly, oiled, then put into storage.

Considering the age, you could put them on GumTree or other sites to sell to local collectors/hobbyists/restorers. Get some $$ back to help keep you out of the dog house ;)
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Korishan said:
hbpowerwall said:
Spend so far is about $7000 .... I'm bang on target to sleep on the couch soon lol

Hahah, just put the couch next to the mini :p

hbpowerwall said:
Also had a chance to sort through all the parts we got with the car. Was hoping for some hidden gems but it's all just standard mini stuff. We have decided to store most of the spare parts with just a handful of parts being useful for the ev conversion. Parts will all be cleaned up quickly, oiled, then put into storage.

Considering the age, you could put them on GumTree or other sites to sell to local collectors/hobbyists/restorers. Get some $$ back to help keep you out of the dog house ;)
Really leaning towards keeping them, rebuild the motor for old times sake - but that's money I don't have, so storage it is for now at least. Don't think they'll do down in value (well i hope anyway)

TheKilowattChallenge said:
Ohhh god, I've started looking at wrecked mini's!! Pete, what are you doing to me!!!
lol I got 5 calls yesterday from EV places with advice it was awesome, hope i can work with one to create a MINI DIY EV Kit to sell as a plug and play choice!
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Today I didn't manage much hands on time. Deliveries are starting to come in, today it was a Mini Car Cover makes it look like i'm hiding something good lol

image_dtufiv.jpg


I did spend a good few hours on the phone with different EV companies around the world. Notably Geoff from GT Tooling in New South Wales, Australia. A few years back they did an EV conversion on a Moke - using a rear motor - front wheel drive moke.
I love this idea as it uses space very effectivly.


image_tgeqfu.jpg

image_dvzozs.jpg

image_usugic.jpg


image_jyrzos.jpg
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,522
I have a 2WD truck that I'd like to make into hybrid. The same truck comes in 4WD variant with very little differences. So I thought about putting the 4WD from axle in, and then where the transfer case would be, mount an electric motor. This would drive the front wheels, whereas the gas would drive rear wheels.

But I'm not sure if I'd go this route. There's also the option of going with hub motors, which would allow, eventually, to be put on all 4 wheels.

if the electric were to drop my fuel consumption in half, especially pulling a trailer, I'd be happy with that.
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Episode 2: Sorting all the gear I got with the car, thinking I could sell some extras or not needed stuff off - turns out it's probably better if we keep all the spare gear for now. I'm keen to rebuild the motor as a mid-life crisis type thing. Done dozens of rebuilds of these motors and would love to hear one run again. Don't know if it's part of this series tho.

I've taken the tank out to clean the rats nest underneath it, and washed out the boot space & the floor pan. A phone call changed the path of this video taking me down the coast to pick up some seats, bumper, center dash and other small things.


Picked up some spares from Ron - this is his ride.
1970 Morris Mini Van 1275cc motor with fuel injection & aircon

image_idvdym.jpg

image_oabkhi.jpg

image_gnpuuo.jpg

image_xluzke.jpg

image_ktujfy.jpg

image_aqhphn.jpg

image_opnjzo.jpg

image_ztmkfc.jpg

image_vknazg.jpg

image_nkugky.jpg
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,522
hbpowerwall said:
I'm keen to rebuild the motor as a mid-life crisis type thing. Done dozens of rebuilds of these motors and would love to hear one run again. Don't know if it's part of this series tho.

What I'm hearing is a future project for a Go-Cart!!!! YEAH!!!! :D
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Korishan said:
hbpowerwall said:
I'm keen to rebuild the motor as a mid-life crisis type thing. Done dozens of rebuilds of these motors and would love to hear one run again. Don't know if it's part of this series tho.

What I'm hearing is a future project for a Go-Cart!!!! YEAH!!!! :D
Nar no karts lol
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
I need to know who's idea this was, and where to fill out the complaints form - NEVER AGAIN!~


image_htwqac.jpg
 

Wayne's World

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
86
Sorry if this has been covered... What are you doing about paint?
 

hbpowerwall

Administrator
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
1,978
Wayne\ said:
Sorry if this has been covered... What are you doing about paint?

Scotchbrite & Flatclear coat :)
 
Top