1kW Solar in the UK


MASSIVE restock of EV Batteries at www.batteryhookup.com 5% coupon "POWERWALLS"

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
Hi All,

Does anyone know how much energy 1kw of solar in London would produce on average? or what could i expect from the shortest and longest days of the year?
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
Uhhh, 1KW of solar would be 1KW of energy. It doesn't change based on location

I think you maybe wondering how many solar panels to get 1KW of solar energy.
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
daromer said:
1kW of solar varies ALOT based on location :)

This one should be able to calculate in your area what you should be able to produce on average: http://www.pvfitcalculator.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

Thanks daromer, I checked it but it doesnt tell me much more that what I already found, estimates that it will produce 2kwh per day, other sites said average for the uk is 2.3kwh per day.

I was curious if anyone knew averages for the short winter days vs averages for the long summer days here. I can't seem to find any info on this so i guess I'm going to the be first to publicise it XD

my battery testing is very nearly finished and looks like i can build my 7s43p powerwall as planned :) just need to save up for my panels and inverter now...
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
Just install as many panels that'll fit on ur roof and ur neighbors around you roofs, then you'll be all set :p
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662
There is plenty of sites to calculate. For instance i get at MOST 10% during the winter season compare to summer due to how I have it angled here.
 

Oderus420

Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
240
daromer said:
There is plenty of sites to calculate. For instance i get at MOST 10% during the winter season compare to summer due to how I have it angled here.

Would you ever consider tilting your panels so your panels will get less light in summer but more in winter?
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662
Could be possible but then I loose 1 row for each roof since they will shade each other. So I might get more but at same time not that much more. In winter we have perhaps 1-2 hours at most in terms of sun compare to summer where we have 6+hours. The lower the sun stands the less energy is transfered in.

For next year I will have 6 panels on a moving stand that will follow the sun. Hope to raise the winter electricity somewhat.
 

Oderus420

Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
240
daromer said:
Could be possible but then I loose 1 row for each roof since they will shade each other. So I might get more but at same time not that much more. In winter we have perhaps 1-2 hours at most in terms of sun compare to summer where we have 6+hours. The lower the sun stands the less energy is transfered in.

For next year I will have 6 panels on a moving stand that will follow the sun. Hope to raise the winter electricity somewhat.

I ask because it's a consideration of mine when the time comes to get solar for my house. Our city has a website showing how much sunlight you'd get and I get a ton so I was thinking of slightly tilting the panels to be more tuned for winter than summer just to offset the different. May not be worth it as you've done due to shade and I have the option of the utility paying me back for excess energy.
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662
Thats why i feed in more during the summer. That gets me more money back than tilting and loosing 20% of the total amount of panels. Note that I have them on my roof
 

Oderus420

Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
240
daromer said:
Thats why i feed in more during the summer. That gets me more money back than tilting and loosing 20% of the total amount of panels. Note that I have them on my roof

Perfect. It also looks nicer IMHO having them flat vs. tilted.
 

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
daromer said:
For next year I will have 6 panels on a moving stand that will follow the sun. Hope to raise the winter electricity somewhat.

oh? details of this system? :D

how much? how does it track the sun etc? any links?
 
Top