All new design with intelligent control

Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
225
image_sdtlct.jpg

image_jcnsqn.jpg


I've been pondering a new design for my packs and wanted to start this post to track the build as it progresses. Not just adding a brain, but the whole design is fresh and new ( and may fail too).Here's a few pieces of the puzzle that have arrived lately: a handful of clone Arduino Nano's, NCH Power mosfets, resistors,relays, LCDs, and the TP4056 IC's (roll of 100). Still waiting for a couple more items to get here. This pack will not be like anything you've seen built before, I promise. I am considering making videos as well, but I haven the decided yet. If there are enough people interested, I would consider the video (but it's a lot of work and I don't want the video to be more important than the project). Hope you'll follow the build with me.cheers
 

ismaildoganw

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2017
Messages
55
Ters 18650 said:
image_sdtlct.jpg

image_jcnsqn.jpg


I've been pondering a new design for my packs and wanted to start this post to track the build as it progresses. Not just adding a brain, but the whole design is fresh and new ( and may fail too).Here's a few pieces of the puzzle that have arrived lately: a handful of clone Arduino Nano's, NCH Power mosfets, resistors,relays, LCDs, and the TP4056 IC's (roll of 100). Still waiting for a couple more items to get here. This pack will not be like anything you've seen built before, I promise. I am considering making videos as well, but I haven the decided yet. If there aren't enough people who would be interested, i may do them. Hope you'll follow the build with me.cheers

i am follow
 

daromer

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,581
Nice project! A good start is just images and text. That will give more information as start :)
 

owitte

Active member
Joined
Oct 19, 2016
Messages
250
looks like you want to build something for charging/discharging... a new battery tester? I'll follow and maybe can contribute some brain and work, too :) . For the displays, I'd use nice little OLEDs like the SSD1306 with I2C bus, for example. Easy to program with Arduino and you may even show graphs on them.

curiously watching your progress :)
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,418
Definitely watching here, too. I'm planning on a different pack design, as well. Each pack will have it's own 'duino (of some sort).

Looking forward with what you come up with. Btw, I'm definitely a video watcher. I can get a better grasp of whats going on when I see the videos :)
 

owitte

Active member
Joined
Oct 19, 2016
Messages
250
Korishan said:
Definitely watching here, too. I'm planning on a different pack design, as well. Each pack will have it's own 'duino (of some sort).

Looking forward with what you come up with. Btw, I'm definitely a video watcher. I can get a better grasp of whats going on when I see the videos :)

yes, me too :D . Temp control with Arduino and multiplexer for up to 64 sensors, cooling and automated emergency cut-off. Want to put all this together in a case as modules...
 

ismaildoganw

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2017
Messages
55
owitte said:
Korishan said:
Definitely watching here, too. I'm planning on a different pack design, as well. Each pack will have it's own 'duino (of some sort).

Looking forward with what you come up with. Btw, I'm definitely a video watcher. I can get a better grasp of whats going on when I see the videos :)

yes, me too :D . Temp control with Arduino and multiplexer for up to 64 sensors, cooling and automated emergency cut-off. Want to put all this together in a case as modules...

We need what you say. We are watching with interest


A suggestion
Can it be triggered for emergency shutdown when this battery monitoring device warns when it falls below the specified voltage? buzzer signal

https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/New-...9077953.html?spm=a2g10.search0104.8.33.dqYJjC
 

owitte

Active member
Joined
Oct 19, 2016
Messages
250
ismaildoganw said:
owitte said:
Korishan said:
Definitely watching here, too. I'm planning on a different pack design, as well. Each pack will have it's own 'duino (of some sort).

Looking forward with what you come up with. Btw, I'm definitely a video watcher. I can get a better grasp of whats going on when I see the videos :)

yes, me too :D . Temp control with Arduino and multiplexer for up to 64 sensors, cooling and automated emergency cut-off. Want to put all this together in a case as modules...

We need what you say. We are watching with interest


A suggestion
Can it be triggered for emergency shutdown when this battery monitoring device warns when it falls below the specified voltage? buzzer signal

https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/New-...9077953.html?spm=a2g10.search0104.8.33.dqYJjC



I have some of those, never got them to work with my 7s configuration... from my experience, they only work with up to 6 cells in series. And in addition, they're not very accurate. But as far as I remeber, they have a trigger pin for alarm, so you could use them with a relais to do whatever you want.
 
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
225
So I am going to try an layout the design requirements and everyone is welcome to add/comment. This is a two part design.

Part 1: Feed power from solar panel directly to a "1P Pack" of 18650's (much more on this later).



Part 2: Redesign 18650 cell holder, busbar, fuses.

i. must be able to easily remove/replace every cell it if/when needed;
-why? if you've ever blown a fuse in the middle of pack and had to tear one down you know it sucks

ii. should be able to expanded battery capacity, without total makeover (i.e add more cells along the way)

iii. must not be made of a conductive material

iv. busbars need to be standardized & easily replicated (i.e. made exactly the same every time)

v. each busbar must handle current in excess of 100A's or 2X the expected load
-a larger surface area will carry more current, not necessarily a thicker wire/ sheet

vi. busbar must be copper

vii. busbar must not cause unintentional short (to cells)

viii. every cell must have a fuse

ix. fuses need to be easily replaceable

x. fuses must maintain a '3C' rating max (datasheet for the cell should be referenced)

xi. design should be comparable in price to currently available solutions ( if not, no one will use it)

xii. design should (will) take less time and be easier to construct than what is currently available

I have a working prototype of the new pack holder design but I am fine tuning it a little more before I release it. Your input is welcome. Please try an keep suggestions inline with the model above. The word MUST indicates something that is mandatory . My current design incorporates everything listed above. I had to learn to melt and pour copper to refine the busbar and standardize them. Still tinkering with fuses and different options.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,418
I see a problem. The square header pin isn't like the rest. Electricity wont flow properly and balanced. :p


Nice work! Added bonus is the TP4056 also has a temp probe as well. Are you going to utilize it, too, or use the temp probe going to the mcu? Can you share probe readings to both the TP and MCU?
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,418
I liked this post 10 times. Does that count as 10 requests? :p
 
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
225
Korishan said:
I liked this post 10 times. Does that count as 10 requests? :p

Awesome, for sure man.Maybe I'll make a video and email itinstead of doing theYouTube thing.I just don't want to go through the work of filming, editing, etc if no one cares,you know?Mad respect for the YouTube guys, its a hard job to make good videos. Especially when you have 'a face made for radio' and a voice that shatters windows.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,418
"Especially when you have 'a face made for radio' and a voice that shatters windows." I agree wholeheartedly :p
 
Top