Charger for 160p 18650 blocks

Solexx X

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
55
I would like to buy (not build) a charger for my 160p blocks. Does such a charger exist? I want to be able to charge each assembled block of 160p to about 4 volts before connecting the 14 blocks in series for my 14sbattery.

I see lots of 5 volt power supplies available but I need to be able to automaticallydisconnect at 4 volts with some type of reliable off the shelf charger.

Any help finding this type of charger would be appreciated.

Cheers
 

daromer

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,463
iCharger have series that does 40A or even 70A in total. Any DC powersupply you can set at 4V can do it. For instance the DPS series too
 

Solexx X

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
55
JasonMorris said:
iCharger 1010B https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCharger-1010B-/291691429058

Can do max 10 amps charge 1 - 8s (which is useful for a lot of different things)

Budget option:
Imax B6 (1-6s) up to 5 amps charge
http://r.ebay.com/VJvt1F

Thanks for the info Jason.
Cheers


daromer said:
iCharger have series that does 40A or even 70A in total. Any DC powersupply you can set at 4V can do it. For instance the DPS series too

Thank you daromer. 40 amps would be perfect for my application.

Cheers,
Pete
 

Crimp Daddy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
963
Any reputable hobby charger will do the job but I do tend to lean towards iCharger and FMA. Check out Progressive RC, thats where I shop for most of that stuff.

I use a 206B (20 amps) as my primary, and I also have a couple older Accucell 6 units (6 amps) but they are not as nice and feature rich.

I plan on buying a iCharger 3010B (30 amps) soon for even more power, and for 10S support for some of my other projects.

If you have more than 1, you can always run them in parallel and throw some amps at it.

I do a lot of parallel and balance charging, so the extra juice is welcome.


image_onmifw.jpg


If the voltages are similar / close enough personally I would connect all 14 packs in parallel to achieve the perfect balance. I would do this regardless of which route you take before connecting in series configuration.
 

Solexx X

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
55
CrimpDaddy said:
Any reputable hobby charger will do the job but I do tend to lean towards iCharger and FMA. Check out Progressive RC, thats where I shop for most of that stuff.

I use a 206B (20 amps) as my primary, and I also have a couple older Accucell 6 units (6 amps) but they are not as nice and feature rich.

I plan on buying a iCharger 3010B (30 amps) soon for even more power, and for 10S support for some of my other projects.

If you have more than 1, you can always run them in parallel and throw some amps at it.

I do a lot of parallel and balance charging, so the extra juice is welcome.


image_onmifw.jpg


If the voltages are similar / close enough personally I would connect all 14 packs in parallel to achieve the perfect balance. I would do this regardless of which route you take before connecting in series configuration.

Thanks for the info. I like your idea about hooking the banks of 14 up in parallel to balance before putting them in series. I was thinking about the icharger 4010 Duo but I would need a larger power supply to get the most out of it. I just have a rackmount 12 volt 40amp power supply at the moment so i might be further ahead with one of the 3010B chargers.
I still have to decide whetherto build my packs to 160p or buy twice as many longmons and build to 80p. The batrium FAQ advises against the 160p.
Thanks again for the reply,
Cheers,
Pete
 

Crimp Daddy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
963
Server PSU units for power supply units are extremely high quality, abundant, and the best part dirt cheap... many RC hobby people use them and there is plenty of info on how to convert them for use as a power supply including how to wire them in a 24v configuration as it gets a little trickier and dangerous to do that.


image_xkawrc.jpg



image_zlbbjm.jpg
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,385
CrimpDaddy said:
Server PSU units for power supply units are extremely high quality, abundant, and the best part dirt cheap... many RC hobby people use them and there is plenty of info on how to convert them for use as a power supply including how to wire them in a 24v configuration as it gets a little trickier and dangerous to do that.

The higher wattage ones are being grabbed up by miners right now. If you have a higher wattage common-slot, like 1500w+, you can sell it for quite a bit on eBay ;)
 

Solexx X

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
55
mike said:
CrimpDaddy said:
Server PSU units for power supply units are extremely high quality, abundant, and the best part dirt cheap... many RC hobby people use them and there is plenty of info on how to convert them for use as a power supply including how to wire them in a 24v configuration as it gets a little trickier and dangerous to do that.

The higher wattage ones are being grabbed up by miners right now. If you have a higher wattage common-slot, like 1500w+, you can sell it for quite a bit on eBay ;)

Thanks for the heads up Mike.
 
Top