Yes and no, as far as my knowledge reaches, if a cell ages gracefully it will consume itself.My question is about gracefully aging cells -> dendrites? --> fire???
However, I just don't understand the risk of dendrites. In particular, if a pack has degraded to <60% of original capacity is it more dangerous than when its at 90%? What about 40% etc. Could the pack be OK but 1 cell in the pack go up due to dendrites? I'd like to understand this aspect of risk better
Main origin of this problem is indeed careless builders.Spontaneous short circuits would seem to be the main risk source.
eg from a dent, careful builders discard any, but maybe accidental damage by handling a pack (but you're close by then)
or metal shaving/solder bead, etc in cap end, eg Sony laptop fires issue or fuse wire short (ironic right?)
Those materials are very good but more expensive, in the NL DE and Pl i know for sure. dry wall will do the same for one hour if it is 1cm/half an inch thick.Another material for fireproofing might be cement board (various names, eg hardiplank, villaboard, etc here in Australia)
Mine are in steel cases in shed separate from house but they are LiFePo4 not Li-ion so less risk there.
All 3 to protect the rest of you ess!So IMHO, fire management could be best focused on
a) containing a short intense burn (maybe with suitable venting, maybe allowing for a few "bursts of heat" as close cells burn)
b) separation to stop it spreading to adjacent packs/cells
c) not igniting nearby materials
If a pack will catch fire, it will blow/lift that "flap" up and the rest of the flaps are protecting the other cells/packs from the sparks and fire of that oneI'm not quite understanding. What triggers the 'flap of drywall' to cover the pack in case of fire? OR is it just hanging there - and you're saying you can lift it up to access the pack? OR ....
Dubious..... definitionI cant guarantee that you will sleep well with 30kWh of dubious batteries in your basement......