Megacellcharger update #4

floydR

Active member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
792
I received this in an email.
Looks like production is set to start first part of may.
later floyd

 

Crimp Daddy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
961
Very cool, I like the inside peak into what it takes to manufacture some of this stuff. I didn't get one, but I wouldn't mind getting one, even though I don't really need it haha.
 

Wayne's World

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
81
Just watched the video on their indiegogo page. Looks interesting, and they are well past their initial fundraising goals.

At $AUD200 it puts it on par with the OPUS, buying locally at least, but with a lot more features. I especially like the label printing option, and the cell temp reading. I wonder if it will have IR reading and if it will be worth a dime. Good info to be able to print on that label to! Perhaps it can be added to the database manually, and printed.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/megacellcharger-mass-production#/
 

tango

New member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
9
Hello everyone, I have had this 16-fold battery tester for almost a week and can say: megacool!
You can define processes that are executed when you insert a cell. By default the process looks like this:

- Assign a serial number.
- charging the cell up to 4.2 V
- 5 minutes rest period and tracking of the voltage loss
- Discharge the cell with approx. 1,000 mA to the discharge voltage, set to 3 V
- Charge the cell to storage voltage, set to 3.7 V
- 5 minutes rest period
- Printing of the label, for the small double labels only when two cells are ready
- Saving the load data in an SQLite database

The whole thing is already working surprisingly stable.

The Windows software must be running during the loading process, otherwise the database won't work. There is no software for a Raspi, the apps for Android and IOS are unfortunately no good. The user support is relatively fast.

It took a long time until the ordered device was there, board production in China and Corona were certainly a big problem.

I can only say: it was worth the wait, I haven't seen anything better yet.
 

floydR

Active member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
792
Tango, A new megacharger from the indiegogo round of funnding?

later Floyd
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,278
tango said:
It took a long time until the ordered device was there, board production in China and Corona were certainly a big problem.

I can only say: it was worth the wait, I haven't seen anything better yet.
Well I hope so as I am awaiting 2 units myself. :D

Wolf
 

Wayne's World

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
81
Wolf said:
tango said:
It took a long time until the ordered device was there, board production in China and Corona were certainly a big problem.

I can only say: it was worth the wait, I haven't seen anything better yet.
Well I hope so as I am awaiting 2 units myself. :D

Wolf
What is your expectations re IR? I know this is your passion afterall :p

I understand it has IR reading but only 2 wire from what I can see.
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,278
Wayne\ said:
What is your expectations re IR? I know this is your passion afterall :p

I understand it has IR reading but only 2 wire from what I can see.
Don't know we shall see.........

The thing is, IR is my first check before the cell even goes into the charger so for me it's more of a luxury to have it record it as I already do that too.

You can count on me reporting on its accuracy and if it works.
I am working on a prototype for a "DC IR" 4 wire tester with variable PWM so we will see.

Wolf
 

tango

New member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
9
floydR said:
tango, A new megacharger from the indiegogo round of funnding?

later Floyd
no, it is the batch of december without housing.

Actually they do some updates to Windows-Software and board-firmware. That is not so funny, Board is now at 3.1.0, Win-SW at 3.0.0
No announcement, no change-log. I think they have quite few staff and do what they can, hope the get more professional in the coming weeks.

Now I have tested about 1.000 cells
 

Bubba

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2018
Messages
262
tango said:
floydR said:
tango, A new megacharger from the indiegogo round of funnding?

later Floyd
no, it is the batch of december without housing.

Actually they do some updates to Windows-Software and board-firmware. That is not so funny, Board is now at 3.1.0, Win-SW at 3.0.0
No announcement, no change-log. I think they have quite few staff and do what they can, hope the get more professional in the coming weeks.

Now I have tested about 1.000 cells
So is the tester working ok now? How are the results comparing to other testers?
Is the mega tester recommended?
 

micom

New member
Joined
Jul 6, 2020
Messages
2
Hi All,

Considering this purchase also, Any recommendations from people that have used a Megacell yet?

Cheers.
 

ChrisD5710

Active member
Joined
Sep 13, 2017
Messages
155
Just one caveat: Without full Internet access, (so the Megacell Charger can call Home in Holland), the unit will not work at all.

To use this unit in a place without Internet access is not possible, not even in stand alone mode.

I think they forgot to mention this fact when they presented the project for crowdfunding.

ChrisD
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,278
ChrisD5710 said:
Just one caveat: Without full Internet access, (so the Megacell Charger can call Home in Holland), the unit will not work at all.

To use this unit in a place without Internet access is not possible, not even in stand alone mode.

I think they forgot to mention this fact when they presented the project for crowdfunding.

ChrisD
Good Point..............

Wolf
 

Dr. Dickie

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Messages
68
Holland? I thought Alex and company were in Romania?
Was the software from Holland?
Still waiting on my Megacell chargers.
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,278
Dr.Dickie said:
Holland? I thought Alex and company were in Romania?
Was the software from Holland?
Still waiting on my Megacell chargers.
Martin Meuwese is the software designer and lives in Amsterdam North Holland - Netherlands.
Check out the Facebook page. Believe you me it took a lot of arm twisting and deep thought for me to actually use Facebook.
But there is a lot of good information about the software and hardware there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/646858045823609
Wolf
 

Eric44

New member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
19
Big problem with Megacell Monitor.
By doing a simple discharge the result is good, by doing a capacity test the result is increased by about 100 mAh!
I have 2000 test cells, what would you do?
 
Top