I have been too busy with everything to post details about the projects. I haven't done much practical testing or experimenting, but I have I have been thinking about the projects. I have a plan to cook chips, (or french fries) to go along with the tea, but haven't had a chance to physically build it yet. I might build the fryer as an actual fryer to use to cook things on a permanent basis rather than as a proof that it can be done.
I have been subjecting the 40p test module #1 to all sorts of vibration testing. It has about 10 hours of being in the bow of my boat where it gets banged around alot. I have been taking it with me alot to show some of my "battery suppliers", friends, aquaintenances, and etc. I should find a vibration hour log/meter to add to this battery module prototype.
I also need to create pamplets, website, and related documentation much sooner than I thought. Yesterday would be too late. When I talk to people about my project, after they tell me that I am nuts, they say that my project is really cool, and to tell them more, and where can they follow the project.... I don't have any project pages at the moment. So making website stuff, and documenting all the stuff and maybe a making a few youtube videos are now a priority. Luckily this is something that my fiance Marta thinks she would like to do, but both Marta and myself have a ton to learn about all that stuff.
So in the near future I hope to be here writing about crazy 18650 stuff I actually do. but I might be too busy on working the Public Relations Stuff, and PR stuff isn't my strong point yet.
Thread Review (Newest First)
Posted by completelycharged - 07-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Fatigue is the devil that creeps up on you....
I have subjected the battery to as much vibration as I can so far, and no sign of Fatigue yet, but will still test it as much as I can.
I have just built Prototype battery pack number 3, and will cut out the laser cut plywood module tonight. Proto #3 is still a 1s x 40p battery pack but new things with this pack are:
1. On the negative terminals, I used 24 awg Ni200Nickel Wire that I spot welded to the batteries, and soldered the nickel wire to the bus bars. I also used two wires from the cell to the bus bar for more mechanical resiliancy when I build and handle it, and that further lowers the miniscule resistance from the cells to the bus bar. The nickel wire was real easy to spot weld to the cells and it was even easier to solder the wire to the bus bar. So I am happy with the results so far.
2. On the positive terminals I soldered 29 AWG tinned copper wire as fuse wire to the cells and to the bus bar. Again this was fast and easy and a lot more cleaner than the glass fuses. My current design setup may draw 5A per cell for a short time when I am at peak throttle, so the tinned copper wire should give me more headroom than the 5A glass fuses.
3. The plywood box that I will lasercut tonight willbe 10.5" long, but a little taller.I should have room for 2/0 AWG bus bars on the top and bottom but I will probably only use 6, or 4 awg sold copper wire as bus bars for the final design depending on how many amps the system pulls.
So far no fatigue issues with Prototype #2, and I have been dragging it around with me in my car, truck, boat, and bicycleplacing it where I think the vibration is the most.
Hello All, I have been really busy working on my projects, working my day job, and trying to keep up with everything--and well I can't. I have been so busy with all that stuff, that I haven't been able to watch many HBpowerwall videos, or even read the forum as much as I would like. My hats are off to Korishan, Dromer, HBpete, and all the others that contribute to the forum while staying involved with the rest of their lives. Keep it up everybody. There is so much I want to share with you all, but I am not sure where to start or how to tie it all together, so bear with me...
I do want to post an update on my project. First I have 2400 tested approved secondhand cells for my project. I have a lot more in process to be approved, but the pace of testing cells has slowed down alot as 99% of my free time is actually spent BUILDING THE BOAT. Building the boat takes us to the first picture. Picture 1 is the boat frame being built upside down on the trailer mid January.
Boat Picture #1
The boat is based off of Glen-L's Calypso Design with a description and more information located here: https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=387 . I am planning on using electric motors, a generator, reclaimed lithium ion batteries, and solar power, to run the boat. If I cheap out, I can always revert to using a small block chevy like the original plans called for, but so far electric motors and reclaimed lithium batteries are looking like the way I am going.
Boat Picture #2 was taken 4 or 5 days ago, when I was glueing the middle panels onto the frame. I have 6 of the 8 side panels glued on now, , the front 2 panels are just held on with screws.. There is a wood shortage here due to Covid-19 , and I am trying to source an appropriate type of plywood for the bottom of the hull.
Boat Picture #2
Boat Pic #2
There is alot more information I want to share, but I am out of time, and energy at the moment. So ask me questions, and I hope this wets your appetite, for more stuff.
One question I have, but am too tired to ask in another thread is what DC to AC inverter should I get. I am not sure I even know what questions to ask to choose the inverter but this is what I know now: This will basically be an off grid inverter. Even though it is on a boat, the inverter will be in a cabin away from water and salt spray. If it gets wet or is exposed to the elements, I will have a lot more to worry about than the inverter's lifespan. The motors I am going to use are going to be 14S. I don't think I will have a demand for more than 2000 running watts. I live in the US so the output of the inverter should be 120V.