Nickel Strip with Cell Level Fusing


MASSIVE restock of EV Batteries at www.batteryhookup.com 5% coupon "POWERWALLS"

chuckp

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
409
Looks interesting.

Could be an issue if I needed to swap out one rouge cell though.
Looks like it would be a full strip down of the pack.

But still a very interesting option that may be worth perusing on next pack builds.
Be interesting to see your comments @Mike when you've tried it.
 

Oz18650

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
205
chuckp said:
Looks interesting.

Could be an issue if I needed to swap out one rouge cell though.
Looks like it would be a full strip down of the pack.
I had the same thought, but then figured you would only use this on the positive side and if a cell needs replacing, you would push it out the other side?
Then spotweld a new fuse with its surround into place.
 

chuckp

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
409
Oz18650 said:
I had the same thought, but then figured you would only use this on the positive side and if a cell needs replacing, you would push it out the other side?
Then spotweld a new fuse with its surround into place.

True, but i think both sides would be better for the pack aesthetics

Also if going to the effort of making my busbars for one side I might as well just do both sides the same.
Would be great if they could make one specifically for the negative end with a wider opening.
 

Oz18650

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
205
If you need to change a cell, putting some small cuts in the edge of the circle and bending tabs out with pliers would probably work.
I think these might work really well for people.
 

BatteryMooch

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2019
Messages
18
Generic said:
I give it two months before China copies this and sells it as a nickel-plated steel version at 2 cents per cell.

Probably already punching them out. :mad:
 

boysie

New member
Joined
Sep 14, 2019
Messages
7
mine has arrived, but didn't think about how to cut the sections, in my case 8 cells long. I'm guessing tin snips but any other ideas?
 

Crimp Daddy

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
970
chuckp said:
Oz18650 said:
I had the same thought, but then figured you would only use this on the positive side and if a cell needs replacing, you would push it out the other side?
Then spotweld a new fuse with its surround into place.

True, but i think both sides would be better for the pack aesthetics

Also if going to the effort of making my busbars for one side I might as well just do both sides the same.
Would be great if they could make one specifically for the negative end with a wider opening.

You know you are a battery enthusiast when pack aesthetics become a thing lol.
 

chuckp

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
409
CrimpDaddy said:
chuckp said:
True, but i think both sides would be better for the pack aesthetics

Also if going to the effort of making my busbars for one side I might as well just do both sides the same.
Would be great if they could make one specifically for the negative end with a wider opening.

You know you are a battery enthusiast when pack aesthetics become a thing lol.

I think it's more like OCD rather than enthusiasm or maybe it could be a little of both! LoL
 

cowpen

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2018
Messages
47
I emailed batteryhookup twice last week asking if these are pure nickel and what thickness. No response. Anyone know?
 

TheBatteries

Administrator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,127
Top