Opus BT - Any way to make 1000 ma rate default?


MASSIVE restock of EV Batteries at www.batteryhookup.com 5% coupon "POWERWALLS"

John

Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
56
Hi,

I am getting tired of having to set the opus charger to 1000 ma each and every time I load a cell.

Surely there is some way to set the default to 1000 ma? Does anyone know a way?

Thanks,

-John-
 

Scepterr

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2017
Messages
226
Step 1 open window, Step 2 send Opus flying, Step 3 get 4S :p
Seriously though, no. At least not on the V2.2
 

owitte

Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2016
Messages
245
nope, default is 500mA, can't be changed without hacking the firmware or asking OPUS to change it.
 

egam

Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
109
I check cells to see if they are 3v or higher. I get 4 cells in my hand and quickly load all four cells. Then I push the current button twice. Then all 4 go to 1000 ma quickly. The trick is you don't have to wait for the display to flash the current before you touch the current button.

If the cells are not 3v already, I precharge them with a 3.3 volt computer power supply. If they take a charge, the will be sitting at 3.3 volts. Or they may be open circuit or hot to the touch on the precharge. I set up a multimeter on quick check fixture so I can check voltage one handed.

Once a week I do something to improve my workflow.
 

owitte

Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2016
Messages
245
egam said:
I check cells to see if they are 3v or higher. I get 4 cells in my hand and quickly load all four cells. Then I push the current button twice. Then all 4 go to 1000 ma quickly. The trick is you don't have to wait for the display to flash the current before you touch the current button.

If the cells are not 3v already, I precharge them with a 3.3 volt computer power supply. If they take a charge, the will be sitting at 3.3 volts. Or they may be open circuit or hot to the touch on the precharge. I set up a multimeter on quick check fixture so I can check voltage one handed.

Once a week I do something to improve my workflow.

I think there's no need to pre-charge them to 3V, the OPUS has a built-in kind of refresh mode for batteries with low voltage. Just put one in and watch the charge current. Even if you set it 1000mA, it'll first drop to sometimes even less than 100mA until the battery voltage rises above 3V, then the charger will apply the charge rate you set.

I'm using a self-made bank of 16 TP4056 charger PCBs and a compuer power supply to charge my batteries before testing. This way, the OPUS test always starts will fully charged batteries and switches very fast to discharge in test program.
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662
as egam said. I also dont shut mine off so dont have to reset it...
 

John

Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
56
daromer said:
as egam said. I also dont shut mine off so dont have to reset it...

My oos resets the amperage setting everytime I change a cell. I am thinking of automating the changing of cells to save time, so that is a problem...
 

TheBatteries

Administrator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,127
John said:
daromer said:
as egam said. I also dont shut mine off so dont have to reset it...

My oos resets the amperage setting everytime I change a cell. I am thinking of automating the changing of cells to save time, so that is a problem...

Mine does too. I've never had one keep the amp settings between cells. I never shut my units off either.
 

daromer

Moderator
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,662
Ur correct. It doesnt save that. I was thinking of the setting...
 

John

Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
56
Scepterr said:
Step 1 open window, Step 2 send Opus flying, Step 3 get 4S :p
Seriously though, no. At least not on the V2.2

Scepterr,

I'm listening. How does the 4S work?

Thanks,

-John-


owitte said:
nope, default is 500mA, can't be changed without hacking the firmware or asking OPUS to change it.

How does one talk to Opus? Seriously.

I have googled several times and never found out who actually makes the thing.

Thanks,

-John-
 

egam

Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
109
owitte said:
egam said:
I check cells to see if they are 3v or higher. I get 4 cells in my hand and quickly load all four cells. Then I push the current button twice. Then all 4 go to 1000 ma quickly. The trick is you don't have to wait for the display to flash the current before you touch the current button.

If the cells are not 3v already, I precharge them with a 3.3 volt computer power supply. If they take a charge, the will be sitting at 3.3 volts. Or they may be open circuit or hot to the touch on the precharge. I set up a multimeter on quick check fixture so I can check voltage one handed.

Once a week I do something to improve my workflow.

I think there's no need to pre-charge them to 3V, the OPUS has a built-in kind of refresh mode for batteries with low voltage. Just put one in and watch the charge current. Even if you set it 1000mA, it'll first drop to sometimes even less than 100mA until the battery voltage rises above 3V, then the charger will apply the charge rate you set.

I'm using a self-made bank of 16 TP4056 charger PCBs and a compuer power supply to charge my batteries before testing. This way, the OPUS test always starts will fully charged batteries and switches very fast to discharge in test program.

Yeah, that's my next step.
Tp4056 to charge
Opus to discharge.


But right now, my current setup precharge a to 3.3 volts if the batteries are low.

The problem with putting less than 1.5 volt batteries in is that the opus detects them as 1.5 voltbatteries and will show them full when they get to 1.65 volts.

So I started charging them to 2 volts, but that was not consistently giving me a good result. So I have a computer power supply with a 3.3 volt output. So I decided to precharge all of the batteries with less than 3 volts. I have a charging rack that I can precharge 18 batteries on at 3.3 volts. After about 15 minutes I feel them to see if they are getting hot. If so, they are junk. Conversely, they may be open circuited. Also junk. But most come up to 3.3 volts. Then I move them from the rack to the opus to charge.
 
Top