PIP 3024MSE Bulk/CV/Float Settings


MASSIVE restock of EV Batteries at www.batteryhookup.com 5% coupon "POWERWALLS"

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
Hi guys,

just wanted to ask about these settings in the PIP and what the recommendations are?

so i understand the bulk to CV is when it stops going max charge and starts doing the CV ramp down, what is the recommended voltage for this for 18650's? 24v or single cell doesnt matter i guess?

and what about the float? from what i googled it seems to be a trickle change to maintain that set volume? so does it not increase volume at all?

does it mean if i set the CV charge to 27v and the float to 29v then it will start the CV ramp down then charge up to 29v slowly, then once it hits the float voltage it will stop there and maintain it? if so, what is the recommended float voltage for a single cell or 24v? 4.2v/29.4v?


image_oadilz.jpg


Any advice would be much appreciated as always.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
The CV mode should start about 0.1V/cell before the end of charge. You could probably do 0.2V and be fine as well. Any longer than that and it might be like trickle charging and damage the cell (this I am not sure of, but am just guessing; all the CC/CV chargers I've seen start the change over about 0.1V). That is, 0.1V of end of charge. So if 4.1V is your top voltage, then start the CV at 4.0V (or 3.9V).

Float charge should always be either set to the same as Bulk charge, or disabled if you can. Float/Trickle charge is not good for lithiums. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you set it to 0.0V for Float (?)
 

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
Korishan said:
The CV mode should start about 0.1V/cell before the end of charge. You could probably do 0.2V and be fine as well. Any longer than that and it might be like trickle charging and damage the cell (this I am not sure of, but am just guessing; all the CC/CV chargers I've seen start the change over about 0.1V). That is, 0.1V of end of charge. So if 4.1V is your top voltage, then start the CV at 4.0V (or 3.9V).

Float charge should always be either set to the same as Bulk charge, or disabled if you can. Float/Trickle charge is not good for lithiums. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you set it to 0.0V for Float (?)

Thanks for the info, i think the float charge is actually the max charge value on the PIP, because I can't actually seen any option from the max charge voltage?

If the float setting is the max voltage, then shouldnt the bulk be set to 4.0? and the float to 4.1v?
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
Sonic01 said:
If the float setting is the max voltage, then shouldnt the bulk be set to 4.0? and the float to 4.1v?

If you can't make the Float setting higher than the Bulk, at least make them equal to each other, if possible. That'll help effectively turn off float, what ever the voltages may be.
 

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
Korishan said:
If you can't make the Float setting higher than the Bulk, at least make them equal to each other, if possible. That'll help effectively turn off float, what ever the voltages may be.

ok so what do you think is better :D both set to 28.2v or bulk to 28.2v and float to 28.7v?
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
Try both and see what it does. In both cases, it should basically disable the float. Experimentation! ;)
 

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
ok im confused, i tried to set the float higher and it said you cant set the float higher then then bulk cv charge....

is the charging cycle not meant to go Bulk > CV > float?

what sense does it make to go bulk > float > cv....
 

Korishan

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,943
hahha Bulk is the point at what the charger aims for when the voltage is low. Lets say 20V tip top full. So, if the battery is at 14V, it'll charge at full speed up to 20V (unless it switches to CV mode, then it'll slow down about 19V or so and lower the current charge till it reaches 20V)
Then, Float engages. When the battery is barely used, and takes awhile for voltage to drop, lets say 2hrs to drop to 18V. Then Float, if set at 18V, will trickle charge the battery to bring it back up to 20V.
If the load on the batteries is greater than what Float will charge at, the voltage will continue to drop until the next threshold is reached, lets say 16V in this example. As the voltage keeps dropping faster than what Float can keep up with, the battery will reach 16V eventually. At that point, Bulk will kick in and charge at full speed again.
 

Sonic01

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
125
Korishan said:
hahha Bulk is the point at what the charger aims for when the voltage is low. Lets say 20V tip top full. So, if the battery is at 14V, it'll charge at full speed up to 20V (unless it switches to CV mode, then it'll slow down about 19V or so and lower the current charge till it reaches 20V)
Then, Float engages. When the battery is barely used, and takes awhile for voltage to drop, lets say 2hrs to drop to 18V. Then Float, if set at 18V, will trickle charge the battery to bring it back up to 20V.
If the load on the batteries is greater than what Float will charge at, the voltage will continue to drop until the next threshold is reached, lets say 16V in this example. As the voltage keeps dropping faster than what Float can keep up with, the battery will reach 16V eventually. At that point, Bulk will kick in and charge at full speed again.

ah ok, that makes more sense now. so these settings are just what it will bulk charge to and floatcharge to, so I'm guessing setting them both to the same gives the bulk setting priority?

im also assuming the bulk charge will use whatever my max charge setting is, but i dont see anywhere to set the float charge current? does anyone know what this is on a PIP?

another thing, if these just define what the pip sets to bulk and float to... what is the max current the PIP aims for? i dont see any setting to define a "target" voltage? how does it know when its full? if its just pre-programmed, then does anyone know what the pip aims for?

i know the opus go from 3v to 4.2v but i remember reading somewhere that this isnt good practise for daily use and that 3.28v should be the lowest which is also what the pip was set to out of the box, but i dont remember the suggested max, i think it was 4.15v no?
 
Top