Snowlar Panels and a slightly off topic use for surplus energy

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
So just spent 3 1/2 hrs driving home, a trip that normally takes about 30 mins due to gridlocked roads because we've had show fall.
Typical for British motorists two flakes of snow everyone has to get home before it gets too bad and everything grinds to a bloody holt.

Anyway got home to see my new Snowlar Panels. They look pretty cool (pun intended) but the efficiency really sucks they generate absolutely nothing.


image_jzrtnt.jpg

image_vcedkb.jpg
 

jdeadman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
941
LOL Nice. Yea here in Canada we are experiencing Really Cold temps -40 to -50 Degrees C
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,461
Well it is dark out and they wouldn't be doing anything anyway :p

A Little brush off and hopefully a bright day and they should be back up and running.
Had to do that yesterday after I got home 6 inches of snow doesn't push off easy but they are going good today even with 10F the sun will clear the little snow that's left on them.

Wolf
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
Where I live, Cornwall in the UK we seldom get any snow. So when we do everything grinds to a holt.
We're just not geared up for it or used to it.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,449
Same here in Fl, USA.
I remember back around 96 when we got snow down here. It was more like white ice on the ground. They canceled school and told a lot of businesses to stay closed unless you "absolutely" had to be open.
it was a riot.

Another thing we, native floridians, find funny is when we get heavy rains and the non-natives start to slow down to 35/45mph and put on their hazard lights. We natives just go ahead and drive the 60mph posted speed with fog/lowbeams on like it's any other day :p
Note, it's illegal to drive with your flashers on. I think officers are starting to crack down on that a little more. They are only to be used when pulling an odd load or parked on the side of the road.
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
jdeadman said:
LOL Nice. Yea here in Canada we are experiencing Really Cold temps -40 to -50 Degrees C

Wow that's cold, we're lucky the lowest we normally get is around -5 DegC. I once experienced -15 DegC when I was up North and I thought that was bad enough.

I guess you guys are accustomed to those low temperatures though.

We have three snow flakes fall and the whole county grinds to a holt.
 

completelycharged

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2018
Messages
1,053
Hear what you saying on the two flakes of snow... it is usually the snowflakes driving that cause all the hold up. lol.
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
completelycharged said:
Hear what you saying on the two flakes of snow... it is usually the snowflakes driving that cause all the hold up. lol.

LoL. That's true, I was trying to get home, cars just abandoned everywhere, my van was slipping and sliding all over the place and I still had Muppets trying to over take and get past.

I don't know how I got home without actually hitting anything.


Wolf said:
Well it is dark out and they wouldn't be doing anything anyway :p

A Little brush off and hopefully a bright day and they should be back up and running.
Had to do that yesterday after I got home 6 inches of snow doesn't push off easy but they are going good today even with 10F the sun will clear the little snow that's left on them.

Wolf

LoL, Well it's light out and they're still not generating anything :p don't think i like these Snowlar Panels much, they be a bit on the useless side. LoL :D

Thinking in the summer i might raise the incline a little more, hopefully it will just slid off and not settle. However that said the thermal panels on the roof are also covered and that's a steep pitch up there.


image_yfsytm.jpg
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,461
Well it looks like you have a nice little "Chalet" there just get Alfred the butler to get the snow off those panels for you.
I'm sure it's within his pay grade. :D
Make sure he doesn't slip and break one of them. Or better yet hire one of those Airplane De-Icertrucks to spray down those panels.
Welcome to my world in Maine we get snow all the time. Good thing is I live close to the Airport and I have friends. :p


image_qgydxc.jpg


Wolf
 

jdeadman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
941
chuckp said:
jdeadman said:
LOL Nice. Yea here in Canada we are experiencing Really Cold temps -40 to -50 Degrees C

Wow that's cold, we're lucky the lowest we normally get is around -5 DegC. I once experienced -15 DegC when I was up North and I thought that was bad enough.

I guess you guys are accustomed to those low temperatures though.

We have three snow flakes fall and the whole county grinds to a holt.

Yep. This is fairly par for the course for us. Which is why we Canucks really enjoy summer. we only get it for a very short time. then it's back to shitty weather.
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
jdeadman said:
chuckp said:
jdeadman said:
LOL Nice. Yea here in Canada we are experiencing Really Cold temps -40 to -50 Degrees C

Wow that's cold, we're lucky the lowest we normally get is around -5 DegC. I once experienced -15 DegC when I was up North and I thought that was bad enough.

I guess you guys are accustomed to those low temperatures though.

We have three snow flakes fall and the whole county grinds to a holt.

Yep. This is fairly par for the course for us. Which is why we Canucks really enjoy summer. we only get it for a very short time. then it's back to shitty weather.

I flew into Vancouver Sept 2017, beautiful sunny day and the show was all around the entrance to the air port.
When I questioned it I was told it had been brought in and placed there.
I never did find out why.
 

Generic

Active member
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
217
chuckp said:
jdeadman said:
chuckp said:
jdeadman said:
LOL Nice. Yea here in Canada we are experiencing Really Cold temps -40 to -50 Degrees C

Wow that's cold, we're lucky the lowest we normally get is around -5 DegC. I once experienced -15 DegC when I was up North and I thought that was bad enough.

I guess you guys are accustomed to those low temperatures though.

We have three snow flakes fall and the whole county grinds to a holt.

Yep. This is fairly par for the course for us. Which is why we Canucks really enjoy summer. we only get it for a very short time. then it's back to shitty weather.

I flew into Vancouver Sept 2017, beautiful sunny day and the show was all around the entrance to the air port.
When I questioned it I was told it had been brought in and placed there.
I never did find out why.

A lot of filming is done in Vancouver. It could have been brought in for ascene from a movie or something. While Vancouver gets snow, it doesn't really get too cold there. That's why it's the only place in Canada that can support palm trees outdoors, year-round.
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
Managed to get up there and clear them this afternoon, generated a pitiful 2.7 kWh today.
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,461
LOL well more than me anyway.


image_vpjdrv.jpg


Although I'm not done yet but close.
4 PM and it drops off hard.
Wolf
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
Wolf said:
LOL well more than me anyway.


image_vpjdrv.jpg


Although I'm not done yet but close.
4 PM and it drops off hard.
Wolf

Sorry miss type it was 2.1 kWh but better than the 0.14 kWh yesterday with the snow.

How long have you had your panels in service, I stared to put mine up in June 2018. I've been adding a couple a month as funds permit with getting the micro-inverters. I still have another 8 to go up on this array and other have another 6 to mount once I get the supports up but that will be at the bottom of the garden somewhere.


image_mlhnnm.jpg
 

Wolf

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
1,461
August 2018 and I have 12 250W panels.
Ha we are even for today.

image_ixudox.jpg


Dam close for January also and I had several snow days. :D


image_gkiacd.jpg


Wolf
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
Wolf said:
August 2018 and I have 12 250W panels.
Ha we are even for today.

image_ixudox.jpg


Dam close for January also and I had several snow days. :D


image_gkiacd.jpg


Wolf

Nice,

We seldom get the snow, but we have a ton of dark cloudy rainy days, even in the summer.

I have 16 x 250W in service, just put an order in for two more AP System YC500i micro-inverters so that will make it 20. I'll end up with 24 on the main array (6 kWp).

The other 6 x 250W panels will be mounted further from to house. In the end I'll have 7.5KWp unless I can acquire a few more panels that is.
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
More like a typical winters day today. Slightly higher than normal at 3.82 kWh.


image_hocoak.jpg


Hoping that now that days are starting to draw out longer my generation will start to go up. At one point today i was exporting a few Watts for a couple of hour's.
 

jdeadman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
941
Yea Vancouver is tropical weather compared to the rest of canada being on the coast
 

chuckp

Active member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
389
So another miserable cloudy wet day and a pitiful amount of generation achieved. 1.72 kWh today.
Thought it was going to pick up again offer yesterday's gain but guess I was being a bit optimistic.

I'm thinking it's time to bite the bullet, splash the cash and order the rest of the micro-inverters needed to put up the rest of my panel's.


image_iyglem.jpg
 
Top