Sourcing batteries

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,321
Actually seems like a bit high. Usually the going rate is by the pound, I paid $1.50/lb. I know others have paid as much as $2.50/lb. But not $2.50/pack.

I just did a quick weight test and a pack weighs about .6lb - .8lb. So that would equate to about $.10-.13/cell. That is, if there is 6 cells/pack

At $2.50/pack, with 6 cells, that comes to $0.41/cell. There's your quick and dirty maths. I wouldn't pay that much for a pack. If brand new, maybe, but definitely not used packs.
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,380
Ecycling places are going to price gouge you for two reasons. One is they are most likely paying another party for them, so they're going to have to upsell them to you to make their money back and profit. The second reason, they're in the recycling business. They know what the value of them is and what they can get from people. You paying $2.50/pack just solidifies those prices because they know there is someone out there willing to pay that.

I would suggest going around your area to the computer repair shops and ask them. That's what I do. You'll get people who are shocked that you want to pay them and will accept pretty much anything. To them, you're buying their garbage. Then you'll get the others who are just like "here, take them" because they're happy you're taking hazardous waste off their hands that they would have to otherwise pay to get rid of.

The trick is to NOT let them know what you're using them for and don't make it seem like they have any real value.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,321
I went around to the local recycler, no go. I went to the battery shops, and some computer shops, no go. I finally decided to post an online ad on Craigslist, and sha-blammo!!! I had 300lbs of batteries in 2 weeks. I actually stopped posting the ad so I could catch up with my loads :p

As an example, this is what I posted. My next post will have a lower pricing of like $1.25.
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/aos/6004120827.html


And, I posted in several sub-forums to get the greatest face time. Electronics, tools, general, community, and a few others.
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,380
Korishan said:
I went around to the local recycler, no go. I went to the battery shops, and some computer shops, no go. I finally decided to post an online ad on Craigslist, and sha-blammo!!! I had 300lbs of batteries in 2 weeks. I actually stopped posting the ad so I could catch up with my loads :p

As an example, this is what I posted. My next post will have a lower pricing of like $1.25.
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/aos/6004120827.html


And, I posted in several sub-forums to get the greatest face time. Electronics, tools, general, community, and a few others.

I tried copying your ad word-for-word and... Nothing... LOL.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,321
Maybe you didn't post in all the right sub-forums :p

Here's where I posted in:
wanted - by owner
automotive services
computer services
computer parts - by owner
electronics - by owner
tools - by owner
general community


And you may have to refresh the listing from time to time. If you do an "edit" (by adding/removing a space/linefeed), then it will move the listing back to the top of the search list since it's date/time is updated. That's what I did the first few days. Then about 2 weeks later, I had someone else send me an email asking if I was still buying. I had to reluctantly say no for the time being.
 

pfromero

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2017
Messages
62
CrankyCoder said:
I have found a place close by that will let me buy laptop batteries at $2.50 per pack. Is that a decent price?

Hi CC,


Yes, that is a good price compared to eBay! There they go for about twice that at auction.

Paul
 

CrankyCoder

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
88
Korishan said:
Maybe you didn't post in all the right sub-forums :p

Here's where I posted in:
wanted - by owner
automotive services
computer services
computer parts - by owner
electronics - by owner
tools - by owner
general community


And you may have to refresh the listing from time to time. If you do an "edit" (by adding/removing a space/linefeed), then it will move the listing back to the top of the search list since it's date/time is updated. That's what I did the first few days. Then about 2 weeks later, I had someone else send me an email asking if I was still buying. I had to reluctantly say no for the time being.
You carry a scale in your car/truck to pick up? or how do you go about it?
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,380
CrankyCoder said:
You carry a scale in your car/truck to pick up? or how do you go about it?

Yes. When someone indicates that they are selling based on weight, I take my own scale. I also take my own boxes. I zero the scale with an empty box on it, then pour the batteries in. Record weight, repeat with next box.
 

CrankyCoder

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
88
mike said:
CrankyCoder said:
You carry a scale in your car/truck to pick up? or how do you go about it?

Yes. When someone indicates that they are selling based on weight, I take my own scale. I also take my own boxes. I zero the scale with an empty box on it, then pour the batteries in. Record weight, repeat with next box.

what kind of scale you using if you don't mind me asking :)
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,380
CrankyCoder said:
mike said:
CrankyCoder said:
You carry a scale in your car/truck to pick up? or how do you go about it?

Yes. When someone indicates that they are selling based on weight, I take my own scale. I also take my own boxes. I zero the scale with an empty box on it, then pour the batteries in. Record weight, repeat with next box.

what kind of scale you using if you don't mind me asking :)

This. It's a very nice scale, up to 110lbs.
http://amzn.to/2nJgTmc
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,321
I actually used a digital bathroom scale. It doesn't start weighing until 15lbs, but a box of batteries weighs much more than that :p

And yeah, I carried the scale with me that day. I don't normally because it's a glass scale. It's accurate enough for weighing boxes of batteries.

I like that one Mike posted. I might get that one or one like it. I like the idea of being able to zero-out the scale.
 

LithiumSolar

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,380
Korishan said:
I actually used a digital bathroom scale. It doesn't start weighing until 15lbs, but a box of batteries weighs much more than that :p

And yeah, I carried the scale with me that day. I don't normally because it's a glass scale. It's accurate enough for weighing boxes of batteries.

I like that one Mike posted. I might get that one or one like it. I like the idea of being able to zero-out the scale.

The bathroom scale thing is weird, I never quite figured it out. I have two different digital bathroom scales. I used to try using it for shipping. I would weigh myself, step off, then weigh myself again holding the package I want to ship. One would think you can calculate the weight of the package by subtracting the two numbers, but it ended up being off by 3-4 pounds sometimes. I don't understand. After learning that, I stopped using the bathroom scale for this sort of thing. Lol.
 

Korishan

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
6,321
If you have an analog scale, it's possible the spring is not longer calibrated. The digital scales usually have 2 or 4 sensors (most likely 4), 1 under each foot. So you get a much better accurate weighing. The springs in the older analog ones can get worn out and be off more as the weight goes up. I have one of those too, and noticed that the weights weren't always accurate. I could actually get 2 different weighings minutes apart and I didn't change anything on me. Also the temperature will affect the analog ones as well.
 
Top