Super sketchy, totally DIY, low budget wind generation experiment


MASSIVE restock of EV Batteries at www.batteryhookup.com 5% coupon "POWERWALLS"
Joined
Mar 7, 2018
Messages
1,068
I am hopeful they will work in the future, but so far they have not done what expected.
They have 3 pots on the units, one to set the output current limint, one to set the maximum voltage output level and the last one, which is the critical one, is the low voltage cut-off input level.

With the 24V turbine I had, I realised that in low winds the "usefull" (wind speed) starting voltage was 16-18V. So, when the wind was low speed I would have the input voltage level set at 18V. This would then limit the input voltage to 18V as it would then increase the input current (within the output volts x amps setting). This would cap the voltage level, but the turbine is just torque, so although you do loose a bit of efficiency the simplicity factor for me was far more important. I needed the ability to have cheap spare parts as I was 150 miles from the nearest large town as such, so I could have a few of these boost units for various tasks.

When the wind speed increased (first stage) I would either adjust the input voltage level or switch to a different boost unit with a higher input voltage level of say 28-35V. This would then keep the input current within the wind turbine coil rating so as not to burn it out.... then when it got really windy I would just attach the turbine directly (via 3 phase bridge rectifier of course) to the battery pack at say 52V. This does loose some watts between gusts as the turbine was a "24V" unit but having it deliver an average of about 500W was more beneficial than shutting it down.

The other main poiint here is that I tied the turbine so that it could not change direction as when the blades were spinning around 1000rpm if it turned the stresses would just break the blades off. This is what damages the majority of cheap units, they spin up, turn and watch the blades fly off.... that is if the turbine is not burnt out because the current is not limited correctly...

I'm guessing those wood blades will last upto about 500rpm.... the bolts and the lack of a plate to distribute the stresses is your weak point... remember, early aeroplane propellers were only spruce, so they can take a lot of power if mounted well.. good luck !
 

harrisonpatm

Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2022
Messages
107
With the 24V turbine I had, I realised that in low winds the "usefull" (wind speed) starting voltage was 16-18V. So, when the wind was low speed I would have the input voltage level set at 18V. This would then limit the input voltage to 18V as it would then increase the input current (within the output volts x amps setting). This would cap the voltage level, but the turbine is just torque, so although you do loose a bit of efficiency the simplicity factor for me was far more important. I needed the ability to have cheap spare parts as I was 150 miles from the nearest large town as such, so I could have a few of these boost units for various tasks.
Very helpful, thank you. I'm going to keep this in mind for the future when I level up. Two clarifying comments: one, even if it does work for me, I'm going to need to use turbines that output higher base voltages than what I've currently built. I'm topping out at 12-15V currently, but I'm getting better. I'm playing with different combinations of motors and blades. So my input is still too low to be of much use.

Second, I believe that the first module you sent me is the only one with 3 pots; the rest have two or one. So I'd need to get that one if I want to be able to boost at all.
I'm guessing those wood blades will last upto about 500rpm.... the bolts and the lack of a plate to distribute the stresses is your weak point... remember, early aeroplane propellers were only spruce
500 rpm would be great! And your comment about early airplanes being made of wood is exacly what I was thinking as well. I'm not there yet but at least I know it's possible. Thank you!
 

Oz18650

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
206
I have enjoyed reading this thread.
Not so much because of the current output results, but because I can see the progress that is going on, and can see this getting to the point that you are after.
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck with your projects!
 
Top