WatchMon Network Issue

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
Hi DIYers,

I have doubled my Leaf modules. 14S14P. Now I'm having failed communication between LeafMons and WatchMon. The LED Device Identifier function works and correctly identifies all 14 LeafMons but the network test fails. Nothing received. I had to extend the last set of wires by a couple feet due to battery pack configuration and continuity tests as good. I have a message into Batrium, but I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions. Thanks.
 

OffGridInTheCity

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
1,529
ZimInSeattle said:
Hi DIYers,

I have doubled my Leaf modules. 14S14P. Now I'm having failed communication between LeafMons and WatchMon. The LED Device Identifier function works and correctly identifies all 14 LeafMons but the network test fails. Nothing received. I had to extend the last set of wires by a couple feet due to battery pack configuration and continuity tests as good. I have a message into Batrium, but I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions. Thanks.
I've struggled with this myself. Initially, it was because I didn't twist myextender wire (about 6 feet). Once I twisted the wire pairs appropriately - it worked (polled/tested OK).

Since then.... I'm up to 84 longmons with 30-40ft total path and it works most of the time.

I had a failed longmon that caused trouble - and once it was replaced things worked again. If found this by unplugging/plugging in each longmon... they do that self test when you put power to them. The bad one didn't do a proper power-up test - e.g. green led and then red (if I recall correctly).

I also had a case where it was running fine, didn't touch anything and it'just stopped' polling - happened twice this year within a week of each other. I reboot the WM4 and it makes no difference - multiple network tests failed... even though visually it looked like it was polling (e.g. green lights rippling thru the packs).Then, out of desperation, I unpluggedone of the longmons in the chain, pluggedit back in / rebooted and itresumed polling/working again - not sure what that was all about.
But since then its been running OK again.

I look forward to hearing what you find out :)
 

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
OffGridInTheCity said:
ZimInSeattle said:
Hi DIYers,

I have doubled my Leaf modules. 14S14P. Now I'm having failed communication between LeafMons and WatchMon. The LED Device Identifier function works and correctly identifies all 14 LeafMons but the network test fails. Nothing received. I had to extend the last set of wires by a couple feet due to battery pack configuration and continuity tests as good. I have a message into Batrium, but I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions. Thanks.
I've struggled with this myself. Initially, it was because I didn't twist myextender wire (about 6 feet). Once I twisted the wire pairs appropriately - it worked (polled/tested OK).

Since then.... I'm up to 84 longmons with 30-40ft total path and it works most of the time.

I had a failed longmon that caused trouble - and once it was replaced things worked again. If found this by unplugging/plugging in each longmon... they do that self test when you put power to them. The bad one didn't do a proper power-up test - e.g. green led and then red (if I recall correctly).

I also had a case where it was running fine, didn't touch anything and it'just stopped' polling - happened twice this year within a week of each other. I reboot the WM4 and it makes no difference - multiple network tests failed... even though visually it looked like it was polling (e.g. green lights rippling thru the packs).Then, out of desperation, I unpluggedone of the longmons in the chain, pluggedit back in / rebooted and itresumed polling/working again - not sure what that was all about.
But since then its been running OK again.

I look forward to hearing what you find out :)
Thanks for the tips Offgrid. I can get the first 3 Leafmons to work. When I plug into any of the 4 in the left cabinet, it flashes red LED and shuts off. Verified all my wires on the right packs. Thought it might be that I hadn't installed ground strap on left cabinet. Did that and the Leafmons didn't shut off one time, but wouldn't communicate either. Now they just shut off again. I'm stumped. Not sure I want to charge up without seeing temps and voltages of the 4 packs in the new configuration.


image_rggnpq.jpg
 

OffGridInTheCity

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
1,529
ZimInSeattle said:
Thanks for the tips Offgrid. I can get the first 3 Leafmons to work. When I plug into any of the 4 in the left cabinet, it flashes red LED and shuts off. Verified all my wires on the right packs. Thought it might be that I hadn't installed ground strap on left cabinet. Did that and the Leafmons didn't shut off one time, but wouldn't communicate either. Now they just shut off again. I'm stumped. Not sure I want to charge up without seeing temps and voltages of the 4 packs in the new configuration.
Not understanding your process. Grounding doesn't have anything to do with Longmons - and I don't imagine Leafmons care about grounding either. They simply get power from + and - of the cell and then are added to a communication loop/chain so a WM4 can read them.

To debug this - suggest you start with something that works (e.g. you say 4 of them work?) and then add a 5th one. If that work, then add a 6th one, etc....

To add one to a working chain:
1) First test the Leafmon in isolation. Disconnect it from the chain... and the cell...and then reconnect it to the cell (e.g. power it up)and verify that the green led comes on, and then the red for a moment. If this doesn't work, then maybe you have them hooked at 8.4v? instead of 4.2v? (I know leaf units have 2s inside) OR maybe they are shorted/broken somehow? - I think Batrium should be able to clarify this point.

2) If it passes theboot test in #1- then plug it into thechain and see if the chain continues to work.
2a) If it doesn't work, then instead of adding it as 5th one, plug it in in place of one of the 4 that do work... this should eliminate 'wiring' as the issue.
2b) If it still doesn't work... then something is really wrong.

3) If it works.. :) them move on to the next one and repeat till you isolate the bad one(s).

That's my best advice at this point - do some kind of methodical process.
 

Redpacket

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2018
Messages
1,265
Also beware that the black coating on the longmons is not electrically isolating & you could easily get a short to the cabinet metalwork (especially if grounded).
If your leads allow, you can move the comms cable to "jump over" one longmon.

I wired my longmon chain (total 64 longmons in 4x LiFePo4 battery banks) via a Cat6 data patch strip.
Each battery has a Cat6 cable running to it for the 16 longmons there.
I can swap the Cat6 cables positions to test any one battery to see if those 16 are working.
I have had a few fail & was able to quickly isolate to which battery & use the "jumper over" trick to locate within the 16.
image_lgelqx.jpg
 

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
OffGridInTheCity said:
Not understanding your process. Grounding doesn't have anything to do with Longmons - and I don't imagine Leafmons care about grounding either. They simply get power from + and - of the cell and then are added to a communication loop/chain so a WM4 can read them.

To debug this - suggest you start with something that works (e.g. you say 4 of them work?) and then add a 5th one. If that work, then add a 6th one, etc....

To add one to a working chain:
1) First test the Leafmon in isolation. Disconnect it from the chain... and the cell...and then reconnect it to the cell (e.g. power it up)and verify that the green led comes on, and then the red for a moment. If this doesn't work, then maybe you have them hooked at 8.4v? instead of 4.2v? (I know leaf units have 2s inside) OR maybe they are shorted/broken somehow? - I think Batrium should be able to clarify this point.

2) If it passes theboot test in #1- then plug it into thechain and see if the chain continues to work.
2a) If it doesn't work, then instead of adding it as 5th one, plug it in in place of one of the 4 that do work... this should eliminate 'wiring' as the issue.
2b) If it still doesn't work... then something is really wrong.

3) If it works.. :) them move on to the next one and repeat till you isolate the bad one(s).

That's my best advice at this point - do some kind of methodical process.
Hi OffGrid, I've done all the debugging you describe. The 3 Leafmons in R/H cabinet work. The reason I ground the cabinets is for AC noise. Car charger and XW+ really close by. The twisting of the wires is to cancel noise. The 4 Leafmons in the L/H cabinet boot up properly but when I try to add any one of them to the daisy chain, red LED flashes and it shuts off. Too weird.


Redpacket said:
Also beware that the black coating on the longmons is not electrically isolating & you could easily get a short to the cabinet metalwork (especially if grounded).
If your leads allow, you can move the comms cable to "jump over" one longmon.

I wired my longmon chain (total 64 longmons in 4x LiFePo4 battery banks) via a Cat6 data patch strip.
Each battery has a Cat6 cable running to it for the 16 longmons there.
I can swap the Cat6 cables positions to test any one battery to see if those 16 are working.
I have had a few fail & was able to quickly isolate to which battery & use the "jumper over" trick to locate within the 16.
image_lgelqx.jpg
Hi Redpacket, thanks for the info. I'll try to make sure my Leafmons are isolated from metal framework.
 

daromer

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,591
Have you synced the mons with correct number of cells? (Perhaps you mentioned it but it happen people forget that when changing the chain)

Ie common mistake :)
 

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
daromer said:
Have you synced the mons with correct number of cells? (Perhaps you mentioned it but it happen people forget that when changing the chain)

Ie common mistake :)
Can't get the last 4 Leafmons to remain powered up when I try to connect. Thus no network connectivity or opportunity to sync.
 

daromer

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,591
They are powered up. They dont have to be lid for that to work.

The network con or sync will not show untill they are synced...

So when you run the sync look at all that blinks. the ones NOT blinking are the ones not getting the sync-signal. Check the cable before the node that aint blinking at all!

The only reason a mon will shut down is if the cell in question is dead low.
 

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
I've noted that the 4 Leafmons I'm having problems with all power up normally and the green LED's remain on for a while, but then they turn off. Is this normal behavior when they aren't connected to the daisy chain? Thanks.
 

daromer

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
5,591
Yes it is. Because they dont know what to do. After settings Up the chain you need to synct the new configuration.
 

ZimInSeattle

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2019
Messages
38
Well, we have evolution. I did another factory reset and went through setup process again and it's all working. Between my extension wire being shorted between conductors early on, a pushed pin on one connector, and operator error :D , problem solved. Can't wait to see how much capacity I have now. Thanks for the help.
 

Solardad

Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2018
Messages
67
Redpacket said:
Also beware that the black coating on the longmons is not electrically isolating & you could easily get a short to the cabinet metalwork (especially if grounded).
If your leads allow, you can move the comms cable to "jump over" one longmon.

I wired my longmon chain (total 64 longmons in 4x LiFePo4 battery banks) via a Cat6 data patch strip.
Each battery has a Cat6 cable running to it for the 16 longmons there.
I can swap the Cat6 cables positions to test any one battery to see if those 16 are working.
I have had a few fail & was able to quickly isolate to which battery & use the "jumper over" trick to locate within the 16.
image_lgelqx.jpg

@redpacket Your patch panel is interesting. Can you explain how or why it works..? It appears that all four banks terminate to the panel which would mean they are in parallel vs. being in series (how batrium illustrates hooking up multiple packs). Thanks!
 

Redpacket

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2018
Messages
1,265
Solardad said:
@redpacket Your patch panel is interesting. Can you explain how or why it works..? It appears that all four banks terminate to the panel which would mean they are in parallel vs. being in series (how batrium illustrates hooking up multiple packs). Thanks!

The panel is made of individual Cat6 sockets as standard. They are not wired in parallel.
I've wired it at the back with solid core Cat6 cable pairs punched into place so that socket #9 (the watchmon) is looped into B1, back out & then into B2, then back out & into B3, then back out & into B4 & than back out to #9.
#11 is wired directly to #12 only for 1:1 testiing.
 
Top