Batrium Watchmon Toolkit Think Tank!

hbpowerwall

Administrator
This thread will be dedicated to suggestingnew ideas that you'd like to see implemented in future releases of Batriums BMS.

1. Ideas are just that, random, good, bad just put them out there and see what happens.
  2. Nothing is guaranteed to ever be put into place.
  3. Talk about the ideas perhaps with community input we'll come up with something groundbreaking and useful!
  4. Is there anything that needs to be removed?
Any idea is a good idea...

My request would be

• EVSE charger to turn on and off via SOC
  • A pulse able to turn a computer via SOC

:)

A simple one... ;)
a "real" separate ambiant temp sensor ( to turn on and off heat/cool )
The sensors on the longmonsare affected by the bypass resistors and the one on the shunt gets affected by the current true it...

* Multiple shunts. 1 as main and the others as extra. Main goal is to be able to assign strings and 1 shunt per string. Then you can have 2 strings with different type of cells in terms of quallity and dont have to mix them but be able to see how they perform. (Not different chemistry)
* Be able to meassure IR based on shunt values during charge and discharge. Saved so you over time can get values indicating how battery pack is performing
* LUA based events. So user potentially can use the current values and controll the expansion board based on scripts. :)
* A baby function - So it will nurse the cells so they multiply themselvs.. ;P

I could have filled it up with more but i guess those are on its way :)

Edit: Wim: Could work with just an 1wire port on the board and you can add 1 or many :)

* Multiple shunts. 1 as main and the others as extra. Main goal is to be able to assign strings and 1 shunt per string. Then you can have 2 strings with different type of cells in terms of
This is a really good idea. I think it'd be easier if they were i2c based (or similar) for each shunt (unless they are that way anyways). That way you could have as many as you needed, like the longmons.

* A baby function - So it will nurse the cells so they multiply themselvs..
DEFINITELY!!!!! I'd buy it just for that alone!! :D

Some sort of email notifications would be nice, like hey you're cells voltage is close to exceeding the safe threshold and the shunt will trip soon or something, could also be any number of possible notification scenarios. Even state of charge notifications would be cool, like when your pack hits 50% state of discharge or other set points.

No real need to implement extra for the shunt. Just use existing datalink. Perhaps have 2 of them :)

DARK MODE - so when you just want a stealth setup you can turn off 80 blinking lights.. handy when the world ends and you don't want want to advertise an awesome BMS

Im not familiar with the Batrium software but one thing Id be looking for if it doesnt exist is a timer display for how long each Longmon has been balancing for.
With resettable zero point.

Thinking that less efficient packs will have lower balancing time.
Kind of a lead indicator that a pack isnt travelling so well if the rest are balancing down to it.

May already be a feature?

Jon, Batrium BMS has extensive tracking of each cell monitor, Bypass mAh will tell you how much weaker a cell is than others by bypassing more mAh's

image_pipjnc.jpg

Just watched your a video Peter........ People will start talking about that guy who is mining sunlight into hash

daromer said:
No real need to implement extra for the shunt. Just use existing datalink. Perhaps have 2 of them :)

Just a thought bubble.
  • ShuntMon2.1 canwork standalone and you could linkto araspberry pi with aUSB to TTL link cables.
  • Each Shuntmon hasboth power and dataisolation so will only need RX/TX and USB power 5V+GND
  • ShuntMon protocol is rather low level with most of the smartshappening within WatchMon
  • But could achieve your outcome

wim said:
A simple one... ;)
a "real" separate ambiant temp sensor ( to turn on and off heat/cool )
The sensors on the longmonsare affected by the bypass resistors and the one on the shunt gets affected by the current true it...

Hopefully your not running the longmon's in bypass all the time. Typically it should be less than 2-5 minutes per day, if more then the settings should be adjusted. TheWatchmon also has a ambient temperature sensor on the itthis is also configurable to run the thermal controls. Shunt temperatureshould also be equivalent toambient, if not again I wouldinvestigatesuitability and location placement.

hbpowerwall said:
My request would be

• EVSE charger to turn on and off via SOC
  • A pulse able to turn a computer via SOC

:)

Not necessarily the most elegant method however like your passion! The idea of custom scripts running on the PC / Pi to trigger excess smart loads when excess power is available is a good one.

Once the wifi protocol for the bms has been published I am sure several people will come up with the scripts your hinting about.... There is a project on github that will be published very soon.. (I hope). It has mapped all the telemetry fields from binary using node.js so should be a generic sample code to get people started.

External Heat Sink, that could be connected to longmon/s so instead heating cells during balancing you could dumpall heat at place you want it
also config option for it. Its not necessary but it has its uses in some cases.

Batrium said:

Hopefully your not running the longmon's in bypass all the time. Typically it should be less than 2-5 minutes per day, if more then the settings should be adjusted. TheWatchmon also has a ambient temperature sensor on the itthis is also configurable to run the thermal controls. Shunt temperatureshould also be equivalent toambient, if not again I wouldinvestigatesuitability and location placement.

Nooo, longmons are bypassing only for 15-30min (522Ah packs) and even not every day. But when bypassing the ambiant sensor on the longmons are showing a higer temperature...
My shunt gets a bit warm (not hot) when higher currents (+100A) are present, this is normali think.
The temperature of the watchmon is always higer than ambiant, don't know why,in my case, it's installed in "free air" ...but no issuefor me.
Watchmon and shunt are in mysetup located outside of the battery cabinet.

All this makes that the presentsensors, for me,notideal to control fans or heating (in my case only fans)
Would just be convenientto have a remote sensor dedicated to controll heating or ventilation in a separated battery cabinet.

image_ihybfb.jpg

image_mufctj.jpg

I know, a simple thermostat will do the trick also, but i realy would like to havea extrasensor with some blinking leds :D

Is there something available like a temperaturederating on the charge/discharge current? i did just purchased the sw and can not jet look into it.
A temperature regulated charge/discharge current could be usefull to kepp the cells in good conditions. mainly this feature would only be usefull for smaler packs, not the big ones that run somewhere arround 0.1-0.2C even at full power
Something like dragable curves when you, as example, overclock your pcs gpu

Batrium as such has nothing to do with your charge curve on the inverter or charger though. Thats something you need to setup on your charger.

Batrium can though be hooked into some inverters/chargers to controll the last part of charge to top it up and run bypass balance but thats it.

Yes maybe you are right, but the question was what would maybe be usefull for the future.
in general the bms shall take care of the battery. so what is the pip doing if the battery is almost frozen if it doesnt know the battery temperature? i guess it will simply charge because the battery voltage is low.

if batrium (what i think is a good bms from what i saw) would generate an allowed chargecurrent for the inverter and you could communicate this allowed current to the inverter it would be a much more save system then if the inverter just runs on his end-of-discharge-voltage or end-of-charge-voltage. thats how all bms work that i know.
Examples are: BYD B-Box-HV, Sony Fortelion, BMW i3

I though that you can control a pip in this way (saying to him: "run 15A into the battery")? Or is it wrong and you could maybe only tell him the upper/lower voltage?

The PIP have its own temperature sensor and should take care of the charge curve.
The Batrium have the same protection and you can add "Low temperature cut off" so the Batrium can disconnect the battery if needed.
As designed and as it should be :)

A BMS does not set the charge curve as such that's up to the charger to do. Neither of the ones you mentioned are stand alone BMS systems unless Im mistaken? They are a combination of multiple things like complete with battery.

Its most likely doable to add. But the problem is the inverters to be controlled. Most of them only have 3 thresholds. (Full, limited and disabled) This to be able to top up the battery. Interesting idea though! Personally I see the BMS as the last resort for protection kind of. The inverter/charger should do its job first.

Note that PIP per default cannot be controlled good enough to runt current throttling :)

Mhh ah okay. May you can tell me how you solve how much current the pip is then pulling out of the battery? The goal shall be 0W at from the grid if the battery soc>0. That means how does it follow your household demand?

PIP doesnt do that. PIP is an offgrid system that cannot send anything to the grid. You can potentially connect the PIP between the grid and the house. Then you set in the PIP so it uses battery + solar as first choice untill it goes below certain voltage.

For 0meter you need a grid-tie system or hybrid system. For instance the Hybrid MPI 10kW that I use, that one can have a meter in between the grid and the inverter that senses how much it should send back to the grid.

I though use an Raspberry pi to controll everything based on input from my 2 watchmons and several grid-meters. (Soon a HUGE update there...)

Back