Making my Pip-5048MS work with a 62v full state of charge voltage

jgalton

Hello I bought a Mpp solar pip-5048MS thinking it would work without much fuss with my 15s Lithium NMC battery bank. I though I check the specifications but not it almost seems as if there is another version of my unit with a higher voltage limit.Did I buy the wrong hardware? Is this a setting that can only be changed within watchpower? Can I just flash the lithium firmware to fix this?

Thanks
John

There may be voltage limits on the semiconductor devices used in the inverter. Changes to firmware and settings would not overcome such limits. I wanted to go to 16S, but I would then have far fewer inverters to choose from. At this stage I am sticking with 14S.

Specs for the 4048/5048MS state that Max DC voltage is 60V. So no, you can't go over that unless there's a hardware change and the firmware is custom built.

AS said there is HW limitations inside. I wouldn't mixture with raising above whats set in the software. I have heard of many people on the earlier versions that even had issues with original max. I know those got upgraded hw later on but i would bet they didn't go bananas and updated it that much that you can raise it even more.

And what i can see the PF1.0 have 60V as max limit. And max settings you can set is this:
Boost Voltage (Flooded/MF) 29.2V/28.2V 58.4V/56.4V
Float Voltage (Flooded/MF) 27.0V/27.0V 54.0V/54.0V

Ie 58.4.

Regading your connection problem you need to make sure you got correct software version and that you have a serial port working properly on your computer. You can try another usb-> serial port adaptor

daromer said:
AS said there is HW limitations inside. I wouldn't mixture with raising above whats set in the software. I have heard of many people on the earlier versions that even had issues with original max. I know those got upgraded hw later on but i would bet they didn't go bananas and updated it that much that you can raise it even more.

And what i can see the PF1.0 have 60V as max limit. And max settings you can set is this:
Boost Voltage (Flooded/MF) 29.2V/28.2V 58.4V/56.4V
Float Voltage (Flooded/MF) 27.0V/27.0V 54.0V/54.0V

Ie 58.4.

Regading your connection problem you need to make sure you got correct software version and that you have a serial port working properly on your computer. You can try another usb-> serial port adaptor
Why does the manual say 60 or 66v then?what model handels the 66v maximum?

It can handle 60v but it wont charge higher. Ie the hardware will tollerate it. This is the change that they did due to the first version blew up when you maxed it out.

Where do you see 66v? Do you have link to the catalog? I cant find anything stating above 60V currently.

https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/PIP-MS.pdf (Seem to be the old)

Edit: I guess this is the 66V version
https://voltaconsolar.com/off-grid/...arger/5kva-inverter-64vdc-mppt-equalizer.html

But you will need other software for that version and the hardware will most likely be different from the 60V version

jgalton: You might be able to exchange the units and pay the difference if you haven't used or unpacked the unit yet. Worth a shot. Unless you didn't buy it from them

Jgalton check the serial number and see what version you got first. That one should stat what you got and then talk to them about it.

Its already been unpacked and plugged in that how I realized all was wrong because it was kicking over voltage error.

Still worth a shot to ask. They may surprise you. Especially if you ask with "Pretty please with a cherry on top?" :p

Korishan said:
Still worth a shot to ask. They may surprise you. Especially if you ask with "Pretty please with a cherry on top?" :p

Have already started the process but I figure that will take a miracle to work out considering the hoops I jumped through to order. I ordered through a friend because i am not on ebay/paypal. Then I had to have it shipped again to get it to me because it was to expensive to ship straight to my country. Thanks everyone ugh

Best of wishes on your success.

jgalton said:
Dammit so I messed up and Blew 700Usd on paper wait because the company decided to list 2 different products in the same spec sheet/manual....Even the booklet that came with it says both 60v or 66v.

Can't you reconfigure your battery for 14S? Even with the higher voltage model, I would not recommend running it with 15S lithium-cobalt-blend or its life may be short. My understanding is that the higher voltage is really only to allow occasional equalisation charges on 24S flooded lead-acid.

weber said:
jgalton said:
Dammit so I messed up and Blew 700Usd on paper wait because the company decided to list 2 different products in the same spec sheet/manual....Even the booklet that came with it says both 60v or 66v.

Can't you reconfigure your battery for 14S? Even with the higher voltage model, I would not recommend running it with 15S lithium-cobalt-blend or its life may be short. My understanding is that the higher voltage is really only to allow occasional equalisation charges on 24S flooded lead-acid.
No I can not configure my pack in 14S so if something likehttps://voltaconsolar.com/5kva-inverter-64vdc-mppt-equalizer.html won't work for me, I will need to figure out a completely different solution.

Just curious, why are you using 15s? You say you can't configure it as 14s, why not? Are these premade packs or something?

Korishan said:
Just curious, why are you using 15s? You say you can't configure it as 14s, why not? Are these premade packs or something?

Yes the packs are preconfigured 5Sin nice metal housings. I believe they are fiat500e batteries. I have about 30kwh.

jgalton said:
Yes the packs are preconfigured 15Sin nice metal housings. I believe they are fiat500e batteries. I have about 30kwh.

Ok, so that was some very useful information that could have helped us out earlier on ;)

Well, the only thing I can think of is if the inverter won't accept the 62V max, then you might need to one of the following:
* Open a pack up and disconnect/remove 1 cell
* Make a DC->AC inverter and then a transformer to output at the proper voltage
* Double up on your voltage so you'll have a 30s setup instead of a 15s (voltages would be 96V @ 3.2V - 126V @ 4.2V) and get an inverter/charger that can handle those voltages instead
* Or, lastly, open up your inverter and see if you can hack it and make it run higher voltages. Though, this would be really tough to do

I would say only the first one of those suggestions is really doable.

1. Yes Open up is a good choice on 1 pack.
2. Why add 2 more transforming steps and loose efficiency? It need to be Biderctional to work also.
3. Have not seen many that do that voltage at all. Its lower or higher and also more dangerous to work with.
4. Easier to buy a new inverter. Its not a simple hack... The inverter have several components limiting it.

Personally there is only 2 sollutions.
* Open the packs
* Or get the correct inverter

Half suggestion is to run the pack half up ie dont charge it fully. 3.89V is though not much perhaps since you loose that last bit.

Back