JDEADMAN'S home powerwall build

jdeadman

Well it's about time I posted about my new plan.

I'm building a home wall to work towards using less from the Grid and basically playing. In my other build I built a camp powerwall of sorts in a 7s configuration. For the home wall I'm still debating on going 48v or stay with 24.

But that will come later when I finalize my inverter choice.

But for now I'm still processing a huge pile of 18650 that i got off a guy from one of the Facebook groups that lives about 5 hrs from me in the states.

I picked up 282 lbs of cells! Ornabout 128kg mostly processed. I figure about 2800 cells.

So I then picked up 3 of the newer opus testers (bt-3400) and immediately modded them with fans blowing in the bottom to remove the heat from inside the case and to cool the cells .

So far from what I collected before the big haul I had processed about 600 cells. Now I'm up to 1100 tested and that let me use repackr to organize the first 24 packs of 14s40p.

I chose 40p as I like to be modular with my systems as I learned in building my camp wall. Where I used 8p holders and attached those in parallel with 6 others to get my 56p overall. This lent itself well for any issues with a single pack I could just pull that one small pack out with the walk running and I had a couple spares to put in place

So I will have something similar for my home wall. I just need to decide 7s or 14s

I'll update this thread as I go along
image_ehwbty.jpg

image_agigdh.jpg

image_qwxwhi.jpg

image_hbufdi.jpg

image_qlkhnt.jpg

image_xvaepf.jpg

MAN! this is too funny.
I am using the exact same egg boxes to hold my cells before and after testing. What are the odds of that?

lol I got those from that Guy in Minnesota! Too funny

But Wow I gotta say organizing the cells from RepackR and re wrapping cells is the most tedious part of this process. Back to making them look good today!

image_nonses.jpg

image_bkevmg.jpg

image_ihcuvr.jpg

There first 2 sets of 7s40p packs. Now to sort out the bus bars. I already have been using twisted 14awg house wire. For my smaller packs I did 2 wires twisted together. For the big packs I'm going to go with 3. And 36 guage tinned copper fuse wire.

Also Big Thanks to Keith for the Holders and Electric Blue Wraps Man his stuff is shipped NOICE!!!! and Super Fast.

Just an Update, Got 4 of the 40P Packs Soldered then I ran out of Solder :( but I now have some on order and will get back to it on monday (I love amazon)

Processing Cells still Getting up there in numbers and if I use all the cells I have I'll be just over 20Kwh Woot!!!!!

My first 2 sets of 7 were both using cells 2000 and up. And right now I currently have enough cells above 2000 again to make another 16 of those 40P packs But If I include down to 1800 I can make almost 28 of those 40p packs. and If I accept down to 1600 a MASSIVE 32 x 40P packs WOW.

I'm using the 40P packs to be more modular and I like the way it's looking. I've started to 3D print some pack locators for when I stack the packs ontop of each other.

Here are some stats

image_bfccrs.jpg

I'm starting to really like the look of these 40p packs. Got the soldering done on the first 7.

image_yxdqxx.jpg

image_mbmepn.jpg

image_vgaipi.jpg

Now to test each pack

image_ojezvm.jpg

Looking good bud

Thanks Pete. This has been a long process and Now that I'm basically out of cells to test for now the build is a go. Next is to get my old APC back up and running and then start figuring out a proper Inverter

Looking good J,

Keep up the good work.
I like the 40p idea kind of gets you going faster as you only need 560 for a 14s40p setup.

I'm going to have to move my production indoors as its getting way too cold in the shed and I'm not going to heat it too much longer to keep it above freezing so I can charge batteries.
Hey what do you have for a 3d printer if you dont mind me asking? :)

Wolf

At work we have a dimension 1200es and a Mark Forge II Which I am allowed to "test"

yea and My plan is to stack these Packs in parallel and I have enough cells to have a grand total of 42 of these 40P packs Once I get the Wall setup with the Bus Bars it'll be easier to see what I'm planning ;)

jdeadman said:
At work we have a dimension 1200es and a Mark Forge II Which I am allowed to "test"

yea and My plan is to stack these Packs in parallel and I have enough cells to have a grand total of 42 of these 40P packs Once I get the Wall setup with the Bus Bars it'll be easier to see what I'm planning ;)
Well those printers are out of my budget range. Ouch.
Must be nice to be able to "test" them. :D

Wolf

wattwenger said:
jdeadman said:

Well those printers are out of my budget range. Ouch.
Must be nice to be able to "test" them. :D

Wolf

LOL Yes it is. I cannot print too much stuff but the 1200 is about 8 years old now and still a beast the the mark Forge looks soo much nicer on the prints.

************************ Coming SOON! **************************

image_ulrooi.jpg

New PowerWall Location and Batteries

jdeadman said:
************************ Coming SOON! **************************

image_ulrooi.jpg

New PowerWall Location and Batteries
you getting a big cabinet or going with a wall mount?

Wall mount for now. but I've been eyeing up a cabinet for the Batts to reside that would provide a fire break.

Happy New Year!!!! New Year new update!!.

image_zuomef.jpg

image_uprvtd.jpg

image_mfbsnh.jpg

Been Processing the Cells I picked up that are the Sony VT4's and they are all Brand new (2018) and never used. All coming out of the opus at above heir rated 2000mah up to a max of 2200 down to 2040 was my lowest

I have finally got the panel Wiring done so my house if now wired correctly and I have the ability to switch individual loads from Grid to Inverter. Currently I have 10Kwh of usable power ( 1400 cells in 7s Config) with another 280 (7s40p set) to mount to the Wall.

image_bjlceb.jpg

image_hkgvie.jpg

I have borrowed an Ender3 #D printer from the local maker space for the christmas break and am cranking out parts for the Wall. Borrowed another users mount design with a small change for my uses (sorry forget the member but I'll update it here when I find it again)

image_edtirr.jpg

Figured out the VT4's config. 120p packs in a the same 7s setup using and 8x15 cell config so I can use the same mounts as my 40p packs (2 of them together for 80p sets)

image_alkoxi.jpg

image_ozlvnj.jpg

image_omrzmk.jpg

Looking good :)
I like those modular powerwalls and i used the same holders.
I would put an angle under here to be on the safe side, i was afraid that the holder would break at some point :huh:

richie241 said:
Looking good :)
I like those modular powerwalls and i used the same holders.
I would put an angle under here to be on the safe side, i was afraid that the holder would break at some point :huh:

Thanks

I have put about double the weight on one and it held. but I did print a less infill one and broke it but I had to put quite a bit of force on it. Also once I get the top parts printed in the correct orientation there will be less stress on the mount and most of the weight will be at the root anyways

image_zqeavh.jpg

Hey

Great to see your progress.

I want to build a modular powerwall, as you also have done.

However i can't seem to understand, if you are able to take out a pack or not. In my opinion, if you take out a pack in the middle of your 7S, you will break the whole string of 7S, is that not correct?

Since you have 7 in series four times, maybe you just turn off an entire 7S string to the inverter, while you work on it?

Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Back