Ordered the wrong fuses?

cowpen

Uggh! I think I made a mistake with my Aliexpress order. These arrived todayafter a month on a slow boat. I thought I ordered 3A fuses, but they're only 0.5A. I'm building a 14s60p wall. Do you reckon these will blow when a 3000W inverter asks for all it can get?

mike said:
I think 0.5A is way too small. Even if you're only going to pull 0.4A, have to consider the increased resistance caused by using such thin fuse wire.

Dang it, you're right. Didn't even consider resistance losses. Oh well... tack on another month to the project.

Or you could just double your P design and go with 120p. Or going with 80p would help a lot too.

Or, if you design your strings so you have 2 of them in parallel, then you'd effectively have 120p as far as electrons are concerned.

cowpen said:
mike said:
I think 0.5A is way too small. Even if you're only going to pull 0.4A, have to consider the increased resistance caused by using such thin fuse wire.

Dang it, you're right. Didn't even consider resistance losses. Oh well... tack on another month to the project.

Perhaps order a small number of them locally just to get you started. Or just bite the bullet and pay the extra for postage.

Geek said:
cowpen said:
mike said:

Perhaps order a small number of them locally just to get you started. Or just bite the bullet and pay the extra for postage.
try paralleling 2 fuses. Just for start.

I made the same mistake first time I ordered fuses, so I used just the leads from them on the -ve sure and ordered new fuses for the +ve.

a 3Kw inverter can pull easy 6kw or more on startups. You NEED TO design based on that current and not your nominal load.

In your case you have a top load of at least 2A so you should have 5A fuses if you ask me.

Those fuses ARE NOT about limiting current its for protecting if 1 cell fails and the last 59 want to send current to it... A cell can easy take 10A short burst so a 5A fuse is better.

Fuse for the over current is your main fuse and that shouldbe several times lower in total then the cell level fuses. That one can be whatever. You dont want to change 60 fuses just because of you turned on something heavy and it blew it during startup.

Redo please :)

Back