Newbie Powerwall Project

hugo5464

Hello everyone.
My name is Hugo from Upstate NY . I am attempting my first Powerwall (Goal: 10kwh 48v4s20p 80cells ea.)
A friend gave me400 3.7v 2500mah High drain 35a LI-MN18560's. I know I need a whole lot more for my goal .

I haven'tstartedtesting them yet but, my volt meter read them on average of3.98v 5.6a . I ordered some chargers and dischargers to get more accurate reading.I have read a lot threads but NO ( LI-MN 18650 )I know the cycle life islower but, from my understanding the most stable .
Hereare my Questions ... :huh:

1.Are these batteryviable to createmy Powerwall-Or start looking for other 18650's ?
2 Ifthese batteries will work what size Buss bar and Fuse wire is suggested for a high drain battery pack ?

Any input or suggestions would be a HUGE .... Thanks

Will keep you posted on my progress ... Hugo

Can't really help on the details, but how you going with your project ?

More information regarding your cells in question
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

Cells you got are ones common in drills and other power applications.
My recommendations:
1. Don't mix them with low power cells like normal laptop ones. Keep them in separate strings if you can.
2. If you going with 10kWh bank i would go higher than 12V. Unless you are tied down due to hw you got today.

Or, you could use those to get you started and familiar with the hardware and methods and such and use those in strings were you will have high draw applications, ie: Replace your car battery with them; build large packs for heavy draw tools, etc

Then, use that knowledge to build one based on the laptop style lithiums. Now, that isn't saying you "can't" use those in a powerwall. Just wanna do like daromer says and not mix the chemistries. The LIMN's charge at a different voltage/ampere curve than LICO (Lithium Cobolt; which I think is the majority of our cells, aka - laptop cells; I could be getting terms mixed up, tho) or LIPO's do. So if you went with that route and had the two as a power source, the LIMN's would have to be on their own charger separate from the LICO's. Otherwise, we might be hearing about you in the news not in a good way, and we don't want that at all!!

Update:
daromer: Nice site! Love the info :) Glad I got my chemestries correct in the first part ;)

Thanks

I saw now that you planned 48V but with 4s packs connected? Ie 16s in total? Or was I missing something?

Back