Those following Discord Link

Korishan

Administrator
Ok, I gotta ask. Recently I added a discord invite to my signature. It's not affiliated with the forum, but we do discuss electronics, 3d printing, etc over there.

My question is, why the heck are people following the link, joining, and then saying nothing and just leaving?!?!? :huh: :huh: :huh: What's the point? If you aren't going to say anything and just leave within seconds (yes, literally seconds after joining, they leave), don't waste your time.

Now, if there's a problem once joining, what is it? Is it because you need a valid email to complete registration? Is it because there is a 5 minute wait after joining before you can send anything (this wasfor anti-bot/spam protection)? Do you not know how to use Discord? Is it something else?

Your feedback is welcome.

btw, I reiterate, the discord is not part of the SLS forum.

Kori

Many People click because they dont know what it is. As Many as 80% do that.

Sean said:
Perhaps there'snothing of interest there ?

Maybe not to you.
And, if people don't stay long enough to actually engage in conversation with anyone over there, how will they know whether there is anything of interest over there!?!? That's like sitting in a sports cars, and then saying "This isn't fun", and getting back out. You gotta drive the dang thing to experience the "sports" aspect of it.

daromer said:
Many People click because they dont know what it is. As Many as 80% do that.

The signature "clearly" states, "general chit-chat and randomness". How much more detailed can I get than that?

To note, there are several members here that know what discord is, and how to use it. And I don't mean new members, either. Several with well over 200 posts in various threads. At least, the names on the discord are the same as they are here; which, I know, doesn't mean a whole lot. but considering the traffic is coming 'from' here, then there's a pretty good chance that the two are the same person.

Korishan said:
Sean said:
Perhaps there'snothing of interest there ?

Maybe not to you.
And, if people don't stay long enough to actually engage in conversation with anyone over there, how will they know whether there is anything of interest over there!?!? That's like sitting in a sports cars, and then saying "This isn't fun", and getting back out. You gotta drive the dang thing to experience the "sports" aspect of it.

That's a bad metaphor ...... everyone would know the potential "fun" you could get from a sports car.

You need to think of your Discord site as a new high-streetshop - you might get folks to come in, but if they dont see anything they like, or they find its selling stuff they dont use, they'll leave, and likely never return - unless you can convince them there's something unique to be had in there.

You could write "Dont click this" and people still would click the link... We see this everywhere and its normal even though for new people it feel weird. What you need to look at is who comes and goes at towards what rate.

Note that you say "Please come and join... " Then people click. You never say what it really is about nor what they will be directed towards. You also dont say for how long people should stay or what they should do.

People are curious of the nature and therefore they click. Its not hard today to use an email and therefore not hard to go in.

A simple example would be a store outside a busy street where it is a big saying " Come and take a look.." And if you then mix in randomness and other more interesting words people will take a look inside the store. Some go in and some look from the outside. Thos who go in will spend a couple of minutes and then leave :)

Im one of those doing it as well :p

So what is it you look for? Since the only way for people to see what it is about is to join and leave do you really expect anything else to happen? :p

The crazy part is, several of us are active over there. We see the new users show up. So we greet them within seconds of them joining. They never say anything, and just leave without saying anything. That's the part I don't get. It's like they aren't even looking at the site. It's like loading a site into a new browser tab, then closing it without ever going to it to see what loaded.

The car analogy works just fine. So does the store front on the street. But in the case, the "new" users aren't actually walking in the door. They opening the door, never really enter, then leave. They don't even get a chance to see what's inside. There is a greeting message that specifically states that they need to wait for email verification, there's a delay to keep bots/spammers out.

daromer: I do mention what it's about. General chit-chat and randomness :p Altho, I suppose I could put a list of the channels of discussion (electronics, 3d, 18650, projects, linux&coding)

It's just overall irksome that I can see almost 20 people followed the link, and none of them stayed or even said anything. That's the part I don't get. I can see a few people not staying, but 100% ?!?! We have more success of people following the links from YT comments.

Sean said:
Maybe the beer is warm.

Well, we do have multiple German users ;)

Imagine a store that have blacked out windows. Thats what your link is. People do need to open the door ie join to see what it is about.

Its nothing new im afraid. If you want to get rid of those or lower the precentage you basically have 2 ways doing it
* Make sure they join before joining (This can though never be clear enough)
* Make sure its harder for people to actually join and you dont get those wanna join (Imagine hiding the door on your store or put a lock on it...)

Yeah, I added channel listing to the sig, and also lowered the perms on the discord; took off the 5 mins delay. but they still need valid email, tho. will see what happens now

Having to download an app put me off goingany further ......

I suppose that's like reading a shop sign, and walking straight by, without seeing if the door would open.

image_iqbtlr.jpg

you dont have to use the app. I use chrome to view it. On my phone I do use the app, tho; mainly for layout reasons. If on a tablet, you can still use the browser

Yeah No app needed. Most go without it i guess

Back