MI powerwall

Kevin Mason

Still collecting and testing cell phase. Planning on an 80P 14S system installed in my barn and feeding the house. Watching all the videos on YouTube and thanks for all the info posted on the site. I will need the help.
image_kkwmyv.jpg

image_mmaadq.jpg

image_ycmvar.jpg

image_vhfxpu.jpg

Looks like a good haul. Those Dell batteries are great. Easy to open!

Bin those rusty cells in the first pic. They look nasty!

Geek said:

Sorry about that. Those are all the zero volt ones waiting to be recycled.

KevinMason said:
Geek said:

Sorry about that. Those are all the zero volt ones waiting to be recycled.

It is good policy to dispose of any cell that is in questionable condition. Dents, rust or holes - go in the bin. Even if there is only a little rust, it will surely spread.

Zero volt cells still hurt to find lol

The Opuses need coolers. Without additional coolers you can even end up with double the required time for capacity testing.

Overmind said:
The Opuses need coolers. Without additional coolers you can even end up with double the required time for capacity testing.

Very true especially if you discharge at 1A.
I tend to discharge at .5A unless I do a "Factory spec test on my SKYRC" then I go by what the spec sheet says and it has a great cooler built in.
Also the iCharger X6 can handle 30A discharge for those really unusual batteries and tests. :D
Nice start on a great testing area. Looking good.
Looks like you got a bunch of those Panasonic CGR18650CGs with ripped wrappers. Don't you hate it when the put so much extra glue in there.
I came to the realisation a while back that this is going to be a long time investment into processing 18650s as long as they are around.
I figure even when all my packs are built I will continue to process cells not just to have spare packs but for environmental reasons.
My humble test area here. It has taken over my living room. I hardly watch TV anymore.

image_wezelk.jpg

Wolf

When you say coolers are you recommending an additional fan or are you suggesting something I haven't seen yet?

KevinMason said:
When you say coolers are you recommending an additional fan or are you suggesting something I haven't seen yet?

Don't know if you are asking Overmind or just in general.
There are several "mods" out there to add additional cooling to the OPUS.
The best one I have seen so far is thishttps://secondlifestorage.com/t-Downloads-3D-Print-Opus-Fan-Mod-Base
I do have to get me a 3D printer soon. :)

But there have been several other implementations on that theme.
https://secondlifestorage.com/image/dendhc

Wolf

Thanks Wolf I have not seen these. I have experienced the chargers displaying all zeros on numerous occasions which I attributed to overheating. I will look into these. I like your work station, very neat and organized. I too don't watch much tv. Mostly YouTube videos anymore.

KevinMason said:
Thanks Wolf I have not seen these. I have experienced the chargers displaying all zeros on numerous occasions which I attributed to overheating. I will look into these. I like your work station, very neat and organized. I too don't watch much tv. Mostly YouTube videos anymore.
Yes if you are getting all zeros than the overheat cut off has kicked in.
I did notice thatalso,so I have relinquished to discharging at .5A takes a bit longer though.Once I get myself a 3D printer I will build the mod for the OPUS and maybe design the same for the LiitoKala and Foxnovos.Right now though the timing at .5A is just fine asI stock all the charger/testers withcells in the AM before I go to work and when I get home they are mostly done. If anything they are usually back in the recharge cycle and I just record their mAh results pop them out and put them into my dedicated chargers. Then I load them up again and do the same thing in the AM that way I can test ~80 cells in 24hrs.

"Neat and organized" Thanks :)
Wellwhen you are processing as many cells as possible and recording them all in a spreadsheet you kinda got to know where stuff is :D.
By the way speaking of spreadsheets I got into this harvesting like a bull into a china shop and just started ripping packs apart popping cells into the chargers and recording just the mAh on the cells. I don't need no stinking record of each cell I said. Big mistake. I now record every cell that may have some life in it. The only ones I dont record are the CID tripsand the really high IR onesalthough Iprobably should just to get the percentages documented.

Anyway happy cell harvesting!

Wolf

I made a new charging/testing station. I used a 5 volt 30 amp power supply and a computer power supply. I use the top row for initial charging and the second row to charge the tested cells back up. I mounted fans behind each Opus charger/tester and it has eliminated overheating. The single cell holder is hardwired into the multimeter and I still have the leads connected for other uses. I crimped the electrodes on the cell holder to make cell testing easier to insert and extract. I am still waiting on the final Opus charger to finish the installation. The one I received was defective so I sent it back and ordered another. I'm up to 20 kwh in tested batteries and still going. I hope to start construction on the power shed soon.
image_ypkgth.jpg

Neat charging station idea. Love the cooling solution for the Opus

Geek said:
Neat charging station idea. Love the cooling solution for the Opus

Thanks for the encouraging comments. The only problem is it is a hungry beast and hard to keep it fed.

Back