Sony VTC6 - a 3000mAh/30A monster in 18650 size

thunderheart

Sony US18650VTC6 (or just VTC6) is a high drain 18650 size Li-ion cell which supports discharge rate up to 15A if no temperature control is used and up to 30A with 80C temperature cut.
241648_original.jpg

The battery was bought from my reliable supplier (Queen Battery) and tested withZKETECH EBC-A20and a self-made battery holder. It's a PC-connected battery tester supporting 4-wire measuring and discharging at up to 20A.
87638_original.jpg

I've used version 3.0 of my battery holder based on 0.5mm thick pure copper terminals
210421_original.jpg

209931_original.jpg

I've followed all the prescriptions of theIEC61960-2003standard concerning battery's capacity measurement. Before each discharging cycle each battery was charged at standard charge current mentioned in its datasheet to charge end voltage. Before each discharging or charging i've held a 1-1.5hrs pause. The environment temperature was 23.0-24.5C. To be sure in results i've done each testminimum twice(usually 3-4 times).

Sony US18650VTC6

The cell is marked as
SE US18650VTC6 C6
G 0400743YF20U
240910_original.jpg

The main specifications from Sony VTC6datasheet:
Rated capacity:3000mAh
Nominal capacity:3120mAh
Nominal voltage:3.6V
Standard charge current:3A (1C)
Charge end voltage:4.20V
Max charge current:5A
Max continuous discharge current:15A (5C) / 30A (10C) with 80C temperature cut
Discharge cut-off voltage:2.0V / 2.5V
AC impedance at 1KHz:8-18m?
Weight:46.61.5g

The measured DC IR of fully charged cell at 3000mA was 151m? (measured using EB Tester Software).
My cell's weight was 46.83g
242075_original.jpg

Capacity test results
241316_original.png

High current curves are excellent, there is nothing to say. The only thing which seems strange to me is the 2.0V discharge cut-off voltage Sony uses at 0.2C. Why 2.0V? I think it's just to push the nominal capacity a bit higher because nobody gonna use VTC6 at 0.6A discharge rate. I can't find any other explanation for this.

Here is the video version of this review:

Check outmyYouTube channelfor batteries, chargers and other stuff reviews.
I've launchedmy blogwhere you can find all my reviews in one place. Every new test/review will be first published on YouTube and in the blog. I'll be happy to see new subscribers, comments, suggestions and just your thoughts.

I use those in my hilti powertool pack's when the warranty is over date and the battery can not do anymore what i want from them.
Hilti is a very good brand, if you are high in demand of your tools, so don't get me wrong about this.
There is no brand that can give me this level of performance, tried a lot of different brands
I just updated some old battery's with this cell, to save a lot of money.

Sorry to say for hilti, but the performance is 25% better, than there new battery's!

Hey, good to see another power tools user here.

I recently went Milwaukee all the way. I did use quite a lot of brands like: DeWalt, Hilti, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi.
I went Milwaukee Li-ion 18V with all my tools due to extreme performance, good compatibility and durability. They do have the most powerful tools today from all manufacturers. If you doubt that, test the battery-powered chainsaws :D. I like the others too, but each has it's flaw: DeWalts have allowed too many fakes to flood the market, Makitas kill 1st pairs of cells in their batteries, Bosch is too bulky (too many cells in battery with no extra gain), Hitachis on my local market are only mid-level.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, this cell looks good to be used in many of such tools.

Thanks for posting this data. I would not allow any cell to ever get over 140F / 60C, so I am curious what the amp-rating is at those temps...

Back