smell of li ion.(leaking?)

100kwh-hunter

Sometimes when i enter the shed, i smell that sweet smell of li ion.
Somewhere between a 3000 untested cells is onecell leaking or maybe more cells.
How bad/dangerousis this?

I assume when i test that "bad" cell it will show up on heating, capacity, IR, not chargeable anymoreor no volt left?
Or am i completely wrong here?

Thanks in advance

If its still smelling probably its must be still on current, check Your packs for heater, how big is yours packs?

or you broke some cells while you harvesting it?

Thanks for your answer,
They are all lose cells, not packs anymore.
"fresh" harvested.
The voltage could be anywhere from 0v to 5v

I still have to charge them up to 4.2v and check them....so basically the are waiting in line(-:

dziekuje bardzo. (no google translate used, means:thank you very much)

And yes, in the beginning i was a little to energetic to get those laptop battery's open.
A few have dent's, not even ten cells

100kwh-hunter said:
"fresh" harvested.

I still have to charge them up to 4.2v and check them....so basically the are waiting in line(-:

And yes, in the beginning i was a little to energetic to get those laptop battery's open.

@100kwh-hunter
5V I hope not. At least not on an individual cell.

Wolf

Thanks Wolf for the wake up call, you are right.
I never encountered a cell above 4.25.

Of Course that cell won't be smelly when tested.
Do you think i will see that leaker back in the test results?
So i can get rid of him/them?

Thanks in advance

100kwh-hunter said:
Of Course that cell won't be smelly when tested.
Do you think i will see that leaker back in the test results?
So i can get rid of him/them?

Thanks in advance

If you suspect one or more of your cells is/are leaking then I would examine each and every cell very closely especially on the bottom where the nickel strips were pulled off you may have a micro hole there and if you start to charge such a cell it will leak the electrolyte out and make a mess of the cell holder. I have had such an experience and it was not pretty. So try to find them before you charge.The cell holder just became a plastic mush.
Also if the wrapper shows any discoloration underneath it be very leary.

Wolf

@Wolf.
The cells that shows any discoloration underneath, are treated very carefully, my so called "sunday bucket"
They get special attention, but most of them (90%) is bin food.
Some cells had a little moister, some are leakers?
The cells that had moister and didnt develop rust! will be resleeved in a yellow color, that means for me to take extra precaution IF they are healthy! and IF they will make it to be assembled in a pack.

Fun fact: Yesterday evening when the board was done, i wrote down the numbers i noticed one unit was more "smelly" after discharging.
When i toke the cells out, one was "slippery/fatty" on the neg side.

The cell original mAh rating was 2250, it tested on 881mAh, his voltige was dropped from 4.20 to 4.05 after 30 days.
He would not make anyway, not even close.....

Better a messy holder then rebuilding the shed.
An other rule of precautions for myself...every 250 fresh harvested cell's will go into a airtight bin, before they will be tested i will take a sniff first.

Thanks!

Apparently it was that one, the smell is gone.
That cell is in the outside fireplace, waiting for a trip to the recycler.

Best

100kwh-hunter said:
Apparently it was that one, the smell is gone.
That cell is in the outside fireplace, waiting for a trip to the recycler.

Best
I understand it was ONE bad cell only?

wow. What chemical beast they are....

Yes, it was just one...1

I hope it will stay to that one alone, and no more micro hole's

I am planning to make a different/extra setup, and experiment with some leakers.(outside)
When harvesting certain brands of ebike batt's, you always get one or two that has a hole ripped into it.

The setup will be outside in a firebox, the cell inside the firebox, made of drywall sheet(thanks to my German neighbor)
I will keep track on the rest of the pack's section, mark it with a number, record volt testing ect.

Lets see if i can find out, if there is a cell with a micro hole, it will show up in some tests.
cous you not always smell it( i dont mean that polish delicatesse: smalec, pronounced as smellit(-:)

thanks.

Wolf said:
100kwh-hunter said:
"fresh" harvested.

@100kwh-hunter
5V I hope not. At least not on an individual cell.

Wolf

Won't reach 5V alive, even if from a pack.

Power tool cells can be at 4.25 if other pairs are bad or in less shape, but that suppose to be the limit. Anything more means the pack lacks a BMS.

Back