two 7s in series with one BMS

Headrc

Since I am trying to get my knowledge together on BMS systems, I have yet another question. If I have two 7S batteries that I wire in series for a 48 volt system. How would I wire up one 14s BMS for this 48V battery? Is it just as simple as wiring just like you would a normal 14S BMS?

And then if I add the same configuration in parallel, can that then also be integrated with that same BMS? If so how? I would think that it starts to get pretty complex here.

I know the amount of current the BMS can handle is an issue but first I wanted to get an understanding if and how all this can be done.

Thanks once again, Richard

Yes, just connect the bms the same as normal. As long as the packs can't be pulled apart by accident so as to not pull the wire from the bms.
Adding banks in parallel to an already bms'd pack would be fine as well. As long as the packs are the same voltage and each parallel set are the same voltage as the other sets. Otherwise you'll have voltage differential and could cause sparks or overheating if the voltage differential is high enough.

Korishan said:
Yes, just connect the bms the same as normal. As long as the packs can't be pulled apart by accident so as to not pull the wire from the bms.
Adding banks in parallel to an already bms'd pack would be fine as well. As long as the packs are the same voltage and each parallel set are the same voltage as the other sets. Otherwise you'll have voltage differential and could cause sparks or overheating if the voltage differential is high enough.

Thanks ....with more packs in parallel then some sort of parallel balance/bms cable would need to be created I assume.

Headrc said:
Thanks ....with more packs in parallel then some sort of parallel balance/bms cable would need to be created I assume.

Yes, you could make the balance leads out of ribbon cable so you could basically connect all wires up at once. If you used 80pin harddrive cables, you could share the load across several wires at once. Even 40 pin would work I suppose.

Back