Understanding circuit breakers

intra

It's been a fairly interesting month trying to understand circuit breakers.

I've been looking at various options and even went down the path of asking on FB for some suggestions.

The recommendation from the grouphas been so far to look at the S3N (ABB) breakers and ZJBeny, however i am interested in the MCB form factor.

So i wanted to know if its possible to use the ABB S800 125A, 50Ka , Curve B MCB ?

It does state that the rated DC voltage is 250V, so should it be ok for use in 48V applications?

• Mfr. Part No.2CCS862001R0845

intra said:
It's been a fairly interesting month trying to understand circuit breakers.

I've been looking at various options and even went down the path of asking on FB for some suggestions.

The recommendation from the grouphas been so far to look at the S3N (ABB) breakers and ZJBeny, however i am interested in the MCB form factor.

So i wanted to know if its possible to use the ABB S800 125A, 50Ka , Curve B MCB ?

It does state that the rated DC voltage is 250V, so should it be ok for use in 48V applications?

[*]Mfr. Part No.2CCS862001R0845
Yes - 250vdc rating is good for 48vdc use. You don't say what you have in mind for this breaker - is it for battery bank shunt-trip purposes or PV input or battery output consumption? If you could clarify you will likely get a more helpful response :)

Yes its ok. But getting that kind of Ampere inside a normal DIN casing is for me weird :p For me those cases are alot larger.. But yes it will work if you even can get the cables inside it.
125A require rather thick wiring :p

OffGridInTheCity said:
[*]Yes - 250vdc rating is good for 48vdc use. You don't say what you have in mind for this breaker - is it for battery bank shunt-trip purposes or PV input or battery output consumption? If you could clarify you will likely get a more helpful response :)
[*]
Hi OffGrid,

Sorry i did forget to add a little more context to the question and where this breaker will go, i intend to use the breaker on the DC side of the system (between the 35mm DC cables from the battery to the DC terminal of the inverter/charger.

I am looking for the corresponding shunt trip module to go with the S800 breaker in this examplehowever like all things its a little hard to trackdown.

From what i can understand you need the following shunt trip
https://new.abb.com/products/2CCS800900R0221/s800-sor130-shunt-operation-release

H
owever the voltage of operation is 48 - 130V which means that it might not work at low voltage when the battery starts to sag?

Should i be looking at he S200 (assuming it will fit the breaker) which has a operating voltage of 12 - 60v?

• 2CDS200909R0001
[*]
I can start to see why the S3N is attractive as its all built into the one unit and will most likely fit the cable size as Daromer suggested.

Ive been searching this forum for some time tonight for a shunt trip circuit breaker for my leaf wall. It will need to connect to my 48v pack and work with Batrium BMS

I cant see myself needing more than 125amps DC.

Can anyone in Australia recommend some models and links?

FYI - I've decided to use an ABB SACE 24v shunt-tripas shown here for my 48v / Batrium system as featured by some trusted experts such as @Daromer, @LithiumSolar etc. In my case I need 400a to support my dual AIMS 12,000watt inverters.

image_pfqqcu.jpg

Here's a youtube from @LithiumSolar that I'm basing myactual implementation on. Connecting an ABB Shunt-Trip Breaker to the Batrium WatchMon 4 BMS -https://youtu.be/5xSFy13AEtQ

I'm not familiar enough with the exact model you show to be of help since I went ABB SACE.

@Daromer makes an excellent point that physical wiring (4/0 in my case) and the physical size of high-amp shunt-trips such as ABB SACE make it a 'stand-alone' mount on my wall rather than trying to put it into some kind of electrical box. Notice the ABB to top left and how large it is compared to the 'normal sized' control panels.

image_wzxebx.jpg

They are Huge compare to China Amps....

But they Will last our lifetime :)

Thanks - am I correct in guesssing that things about the same cost as my BMS!?

You can get Them 2nd hand between 60-100usd

OffGridInTheCity said:
Here's a youtube from @LithiumSolar that I'm basing myactual implementation on. Connecting an ABB Shunt-Trip Breaker to the Batrium WatchMon 4 BMS -https://youtu.be/5xSFy13AEtQ

That's my video ;)

OffGridInTheCity said:

You have TWO aims inverters?! Which models? They look like 12kW?

mike said:
OffGridInTheCity said:

That's my video ;)

OffGridInTheCity said:

You have TWO aims inverters?! Which models? They look like 12kW?

>That's my video ;)
Hi @mike! So you're also LithiumSolar... I'm a fan! and enjoy your vids. I alsodid yourPro-Tran manual transfer switch 10awg -> 6awg mod.

>Which models? They look like 12kW?
Yes, dual AIMS 12,000w. One is powering the house (9500kwh so far)and the 2nd is for thewhole-house heat-pump that I'm hoping to install shortly. I could have gone 10K but just felt better with ETL certification that comes with 12K. As you know from your own10K vertical install (amazing), they are >150lbs! Here's a block & tackle pic used to get the 2nd one it in place :)

image_thqgfg.jpg

Sorry to get off-topic on the thread.

Back