Used Tesla modules capacity

GoneDiving

I'm looking to build a 15kwh battery pack using used e-vehicle modules. Leaf batteries are significantly cheaper than Tesla's at face value. However, the Leafs are sold as ~60% of original capacity and the few actual capacity tests I can find put this as a typical level in the real world.

Does anyone have actual capacity tests for any used Tesla modules. I realise it's a variable so I'm just looking for an indicative figure: am I looking at 50%, 75%, 99%? The only online references I can find write of ~90% for a 5 year old module but I can't find any actual tests. Can anyone support or dispute this figure?

Many thanks

I think the difference is that Nissan Leafs have been on the market since 2010, so many battery modules come from old retired cars, thus have lower SoH%! Whereas Teslas have only been on the market since 2012, so most Tesla battery modules come from written off accident cars, thus have higher SoH%.
The age will not be a big factor in SoH% in any case. Much more important is the number of charge/discharge cycles or km/miles driven.

Nissan Leaf modules suffered a lot of loss due to lack of thermal management. Tesla modules on the otherhand were all liquid cooled. Leaf modules are capable of incredible current delivery, but in powerwall applications would be lucky to break a sweat. They are desirable due to their physical properties making it easy to construct a powerwall vs the tiny Tesla cells.

Thanks. Just to be clear, I'm considering the full 6S Tesla modules as opposed to the individual cells.

GoneDiving said:
Thanks. Just to be clear, I'm considering the full 6S Tesla modules as opposed to the individual cells.
Here's a youtube from a couple that used 6S Tesla modules. They are not into DIY powerwalls but ratherjust did a 'practical' setup, very straight-forward. I find a good 'vision' of a possible setup to give you ideas/context if that helps.

WELL NEVER BUY POWER AGAIN! -https://youtu.be/8B4jhZV9acM

Back