Looking for a split phase hybrid inverter (120/240) with 48v battery input 5k+

Aaron Paluzzi

Hello all,

I had thought I had found a darn perfect inverter for my home solar array in the MPP solar hybrid product. I was aiming at about 5kw, but I'm in the US. I need a split phase inverter and MPP's products don't quite hit the mark. Perfect if I was in a 220v country, not so much here. :-/

Is there another product on the market that would work for us here in the US? As I stated I was aiming at doing a 8kw array install. I'm not opposed to splitting it across two inverters if needed (I was prepared to do this as MPP only has at max a 5kw inverter). With MPP struck out my only other inverter close to what I want is a StorEdge, and with that I can't use my 18650 packs. Is there anything out there or should I just sell off my 18650s and go with the StorEdge?

Mpp makes a split phase inverter
image_cknydl.jpg
davidpoz has a YouTube video testing it

Will Prowse (youtube channel) just published this: DIY 48V Split Phase Off-Grid Solar Power System: Communication, Grounding, Panel Hookup and More!
Don't know if it will help your situation or not.

My apologies, I should clarify. I need a grid tie with battery backup. The MPP split phase inverter won't do grid tie. their ls2424 will, but it's too small for my application.

Are there any other products out there? So far everything I've found is tied to Tesla's powerwall (storedge), LG Chem's batteries (SMA), or BYD's batteries (SMA).

I've found this product, but this is the first I've heard of it.https://www.sigineer.com/product/12...ncy-solar-inverter-with-120a-mppt-controller/

I use GTIL2 inverters. I have 2 2000w models (4000w) that wire to a split phase panel even tho they say they are 220v. U can have as many of them as u want for 6kw 8kw etc. they are $400 each

AaronPaluzzi said:
My apologies, I should clarify. I need a grid tie with battery backup. The MPP split phase inverter won't do grid tie. their ls2424 will, but it's too small for my application.

Could use 8 of the LS2424 together to make a 19.2 kW total monster.

"Hybrid property allows excess PV power to feed back to grid (LV2424 only; please check with local authority for compliance prior to enabling this feature.
"LV2424 parallel operation up to 9 units".
So if did L1 get 4, and L2 get 4, then = 2.4kw * 8 = 19.2 kW total.
Would need to break your 48 v pack into 24V modules.

The green ones can do grid tie, just need an electrician to come out and proper permits.
Or, alteast that is what I hope.
If it has a green case, it "should" be able to grid tie.

image_gpirnq.jpg

+1 on Sol-Ark. I just installed Sol-Ark's 12k version and it has been eye opening... The efficiency blows away what I was using in the past, a pair of Sun-GTIL2 and single MPP LV5048 for critical loads. My overall system has a better charge and discharge performance by at least 20% + it is quiet and runs cool! No more jet engine take offs from the basement when the dryer is running... ;-).

Solardad said:
+1 on Sol-Ark. I just installed Sol-Ark's 12k version and it has been eye opening... The efficiency blows away what I was using in the past, a pair of Sun-GTIL2 and single MPP LV5048 for critical loads. My overall system has a better charge and discharge performance by at least 20% + it is quiet and runs cool! No more jet engine take offs from the basement when the dryer is running... ;-).
A youtube personality @Engineer775 (who does larger, professional installs) likes Sol-Ark and there are several youtube where it plays a role if you want to see more about it. One of the unique features it that it claims to be a 'hardened' inverter - as in EMP protection? - so it seems a popular choice for remote/off-grid installs. It does seem solid / feature rich but thethe prices arepretty hefty.

OffGridInTheCity said:
Solardad said:
A youtube personality @Engineer775 (who does larger, professional installs) likes Sol-Ark and there are several youtube where it plays a role if you want to see more about it. One of the unique features it that it claims to be a 'hardened' inverter - as in EMP protection? - so it seems a popular choice for remote/off-grid installs. It does seem solid / feature rich but thethe prices arepretty hefty.

Yeah - I have seen a few of his installs. The sol-ark does appear to be pricey but once you take a hard look at your system and needs before long you see the benefits. I literally was about to expand my array but just after 1 week of usage in mix weather (cloudy/sun/etc) the performance of the Sol-Ark has me reconsidering if I really need them. The system is that good. Plus if you are state side there is the 26% tax rebate for 2020. I strongly suggest anyone who is looking for a swiss army knife solution (mppt/off grid/hybrid/sell to home/smart loads/ac couple/etc)take a look at this inverter. Here is a decent recap of features:https://youtu.be/GX2VqlJmK0Y

I have this Sigineer 48v/6kW inverter. It works fine for me, but I don't have it connected to the grid; instead, I have it powering some of my loads through a Protran 510C manual transfer switch.

Don't buy Sigineer - they lie about UL listings.
They don't currently claim their inverters to be UL listed. They also had some fine print that said their inverters are able to be listed under customer brands, which I take to mean they are confident their products could pass testing but the customer would have to bear the cost to test and list. This is a big reason why they're so cheap.

higher_wire said:
I have this Sigineer 48v/6kW inverter. It works fine for me, but I don't have it connected to the grid; instead, I have it powering some of my loads through a Protran 510C manual transfer switch.

Don't buy Sigineer - they lie about UL listings.
They don't currently claim their inverters to be UL listed. They also had some fine print that said their inverters are able to be listed under customer brands, which I take to mean they are confident their products could pass testing but the customer would have to bear the cost to test and list. This is a big reason why they're so cheap.

I was considering the same inverter. I also will be powering a manual transfer switch. How much load are you putting on it, average? How long has it been in service?

Back