2424LV MSD How many panels in series

elkeith108

How many panels in series can a 2424LV MSD handle if the panels have these specs.

Rated Power: 265W
Open circuit voltage (VOC): 44.20 V
Max power voltage (VMP): 35.33 V
Short circuit current (ISC): 8.20 A
Max power current: 7.50 A
Power Tolerance 0/+3%
Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)
Fuse Rating: 15 A

The 2424lv has these specs

INVERTER MODEL 3KVA with MPPT
Rated Power 2000W
Max. efficiency 98%
Max. PV Array Open Voltage 145Vdc
Operating Voltage Range N/A
PV Array MPPT Voltage Range 30~80Vdc
Min. battery voltage for PV charge 17Vdc
Standby Power Consumption 2W
Battery Voltage Accuracy +/-0.3%
PV Voltage Accuracy +/-2V
Charging Algorithm 3-Step

For those panels you would be able to 3 in series 44.2V *3 => 145V

I'm thinking 2 in series would be safest. You're going to see more than 145Voc on a cold day from 3 in series. Of course, we don't know where he's living, so many that point is irrelevant. Although the optimal MPPT range of that charger is 30-80V and 3 in series will produce 106Vmp.

Stick with 2 in series...

mike said:
I'm thinking 2 in series would be safest. You're going to see more than 145Voc on a cold day from 3 in series. Of course, we don't know where he's living, so many that point is irrelevant. Although the optimal MPPT range of that charger is 30-80V and 3 in series will produce 106Vmp.

Stick with 2 in series...
They have a hybrid the LV2424 that does 115v
image_mtwjbo.jpg

I live in Indiana and it will sometimes get to 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter. Could I switch to this unit. The only problem is I can't back feed the grid. I would have to figure out if I could remove that setting.

The Open circuit voltage (VOC) printed on the panel is typically for when it's 20~25degC. At 0degF, if the sky is clear and the panel is properly angled towards the sun, VOC on a typical panel could be +15% higher. Your PV panel manufacturer spec sheet should list how exactly Voc changes vs temperature.

So under perfectly bad conditions, 3 panels in series could have a Voc of 44.20 x 3 x 115% = 152.49V, which probably will not kill the inverter outright, but will likely shorten its lifespan.

Seems like 2 panels in series produces voltages that are smack in the middle of the acceptable range, which probably means highest efficiency and lifespan.

Back