Battery shed build help

rolfbartels

I am planning to build a battery shed, much the same as the shed in Pete's videos,
So the frame will be a 40mm x 40mm angle iron frame, to which I'll attach IBR sheets.
The question is can I then attach the shutter board directly to the IBR in several places, on which I'll hang my 6 x 7s80p banks, or do I need to build in additional support for the shutter board ?

This is a screen grab from Pete's shed

image_tmymsx.jpg

I'm assuming "shutter" board is plywood. If you use 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, it can be the main support for the equipment. With Pete's install, he just screwed the plywood directly to the shed wall. He may have had some strips of thin wood to add some space between the wood and wall so that when screwing/securing items to the plywood, the screws don't puncture into wall.

But basically you will be using the plywood as the main support structure to hold the equipment.

You do not want to use OSB or 3/8". OSB has too many random layers and isn't very supportive when filled with holes. The 3/8" is too thin and will flex a lot when added weight.

The gear can be heavy (specially inverters), use 3/4 ply & consider some timber framing as well.
Use quality materials, you don't want them spintering apart with time either, consider painting/clear finish.

Redpacket said:
The gear can be heavy (specially inverters), use 3/4 ply & consider some timber framing as well.
Use quality materials, you don't want them spintering apart with time either, consider painting/clear finish.
A great point. I now have 6 'batteries' of ~ 14s100p andone is about 150lbsThis is900lbs in batteries + 350lbs in inverters = 1,200 lbs just for those 2 items!
Since your doing a shed, you will probably grow your system over time... and the weight adds up :)

Back