Used solar panels

Not sure what vinyl layer is in this case. It might be the EVA layer they mean. There are usually two of these layers, one on sun facing side, the other on the back. Not sure which one would of been removed and why.

If you're interested in purchasing, I'd recommend asking what they mean and why it was removed.

$33/panel is quite enticing. Especially if you can go pick them up instead of freight shipping.

Thanks for the info. They said the moisture barrier is still intact. I wonder if that is the layer on the back you're referring to? I'm not ready to buy any solar panels yet, but seems like a great deal to pass up.

Find out what shipping is, that can bite you. Especially AZ->TX for something this heavy.

Also keep an eye on craigslist. In the SF bay area I am always seeing deals on panels.

There are some vendors on craigslist here in Southern AZ who are private parties with quite extensive solar panels for sale. I recently bought2 sunpower 360w mono panels for $.50/watt. He had a bunch of them and they were in stellar condition. I've gotten their full rating out from time to time. I bought them for a small offgrid system. I probably should have gone for 4 but the two get me by.

Maybe check your local craigslist.

No idea about vinyl either however it seems to be a good deal.

I am using used panels and I am getting decent output. 245W 7+ year old panel often giving a peak of 100%. I have only install 4x 245W on a near flat roof (8 Degree) and its generating 1 - 3kWh on an average. Peak has been 3.6kWh

Question is why was the backing removed at all?
I'd be avoiding these & going with other used panels from sources above.

BuffaloPowerWall said:
I bought eight of these this summer from SanTan and I have been pretty happy with them so far.

There is also this thread of other panels people ordered from them.

I post this up a while back on them https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=9134

That being said, I wouldn't want any with the backing removed or with deep scratches. I scratched one of my panels by accident before when moving them (over a corner of another stacked panel). The scratch was pretty deep. Over time I've seen discoloration around that area. When the moisture gets in there it really does a number.

BuffaloPowerWall said:
I bought eight of these this summer from SanTan and I have been pretty happy with them so far.

There is also this thread of other panels people ordered from them.

Those do seem to be pretty decently priced, though shipping obviously eats a lot of the savings for small batches. How did you get yours delivered?

I see that the cheapest shipping option they offer is "hold at terminal," and their service happens to have a terminal just a few miles from my house. Does anyone know how this option works? Does that mean I could take a pickup truck or whateverto the terminal and pick up the stuff once it arrives there? Or would I have to have a commercial truck that could be pulled up to a full size loading dock?

I only need six panels, which would be $300 total at their current prices. Their shopping cart says thatthe cost for shipping to a residential address + lift gate delivery would be around$300+ for shipping. Granted, even then it may not be a bad deal, but paying more for shipping than for the actual product is just annoying on a personal level. :dodgy: If I could just pick them up from the terminal, it would cut the shipping fees almost in half.

Anyone have any experience with receiving freight shipments or know any tricks to keep the cost down?

Back