Hi from Ireland

daarmcd

Dar here, from kildare Ireland, running small 100 watt panel, MPPT 20amp, with 2kw of cells Li ion, and 2kw in 4 car batteries. Will be getting 400w of solar soon and will need to finish the battery packs for that. System is mainly used as backup for freezers. Will be moving in 2022 and will get 10kw solar and 30kw of storage. New car will be electric in 2022.

Welcome to the addiction soon you will be thinking "I bet that battery has 18650's in it wonder if they will let me have it" and designing batteries in day dream/when you sleep. etc

Later floyd

floydR said:
Welcome to the addiction soon you will be thinking "I bet that battery has 18650's in it wonder if they will let me have it" and designing batteries in day dream/when you sleep. etc

Later floyd
So true, thanks for the welcome. I spent yesterday resleeving 160 cells and new insulator rings, I feel like how Pete looked in the video where he chats to camera while his hands are doing their own thing breaking apart laptop batteries.

I still do not know if I want to solder or spot weld or something else. How have you guys managed to get up to 4,000+ cells without going fkin insane

daarmcd said:
I still do not know if I want to solder or spot weld or something else. How have you guys managed to get up to 4,000+ cells without going fkin insane
A 100 cells is no big deal, but 1,000(s) is REAL WORK.Some setupcharging stations to do 20 or 50 or 100 cells at a time - which makes sense to me - e.g. trade some $ to shorten the time or you'll never get done :)

For me, I just keep processing12 cells a day... day in and day out on 3 x OPUSs... [size=small]over several years. Building packs as I go. When I get 14 of them I add them to the battery bank. Its a background task that keeps my hands busy while listening to computer news. Also, doing it over time spreads out the cost. But it pays off - getting close to 10,000 cells now. (OK, really - its just that I'm addicted and there are no 18650 meetings anywhere I can find) :)[/size]

OffGridInTheCity said:
daarmcd said:
A 100 cells is no big deal, but 1,000(s) is REAL WORK.Some setupcharging stations to do 20 or 50 or 100 cells at a time - which makes sense to me - e.g. trade some $ to shorten the time or you'll never get done :)

For me, I just keep processing12 cells a day... day in and day out on 3 x OPUSs... [size=small]over several years. Building packs as I go. When I get 14 of them I add them to the battery bank. Its a background task that keeps my hands busy while listening to computer news. Also, doing it over time spreads out the cost. But it pays off - getting close to 10,000 cells now. (OK, really - its just that I'm addicted and there are no 18650 meetings anywhere I can find) :)[/size]

80kwh of storage and 10,000 cells

Just cannot get my head around that

Imagine mine then with 29 000 18650 cells in total ;)

Back