Capacity tester for this battery

Zookie

Hi, Im looking for a battery capacity tester that works for this battery. Does anyone know how I can make it work with a imax b6 mini pro. If that wont work can someone point me to a capacity tester that would work for this battery? Thank you!

Here are some pictures of the connector and battery. It uses 3 18650s. I have never seen this connector type in before.

Zookie said:
Hi, Im looking for a battery capacity tester that works for this battery. Does anyone know how I can make it work with a imax b6 mini pro. If that wont work can someone point me to a capacity tester that would work for this battery? Thank you!

Here are some pictures of the connector and battery. It uses 3 18650s. I have never seen this connector type in before.

This is a standard 18650 cell. So an 18650 lithium-ion charge/tester will work such as....
OPUS is what a lot of us use but has gotten pricey lately -https://www.amazon.com/Opus-BT-Inte...ld=1&keywords=OPUS+3100&qid=1598040487&sr=8-1

And there are othercheaper devicessuch as this quick search on ebay -https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIITOKALA-...266648?hash=item4dad6fcb18:g:BOIAAOSwov5c7zh9

Just make sure the device not only charges but also discharges (e.g. is a tester or analyzer instead of just a charger). You need to do both charge and dischargeto measure capacity :)

Please post more photos. It's not clear what type of connector that is since it is obscured. It could be a connection to a protected cell with a thermal sensor, or it could be part of a pack connector (since you say 3 cells but only show one).

Also please post the images "here", instead of linking to an outside source.

image_uyobin.jpgimage_kaitby.jpgimage_rflqax.jpgimage_ubvdqh.jpgimage_ysnjzi.jpg

OffGridInTheCity said:
Zookie said:

This is a standard 18650 cell. So an 18650 lithium-ion charge/tester will work such as....
OPUS is what a lot of us use but has gotten pricey lately -https://www.amazon.com/Opus-BT-Inte...ld=1&keywords=OPUS+3100&qid=1598040487&sr=8-1

And there are othercheaper devicessuch as this quick search on ebay -https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIITOKALA-...266648?hash=item4dad6fcb18:g:BOIAAOSwov5c7zh9

Just make sure the device not only charges but also discharges (e.g. is a tester or analyzer instead of just a charger). You need to do both charge and dischargeto measure capacity :)

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I need something that will work with 3 18650 cells at a time and uses the connector (which i have no clue what its called) that'sshown in the pictures I just posted.

It looks like a 3S (11.1V) pack with a BMS and with a molex connector to the charger (including thermal sensor, or 1-wire I2C)

Do you wish to charge the pack, or do you wish to simply harvest the cells? If the latter then you can charge them in any 18650 charger after removing them from the pack.

gauss163 said:
It looks like a 3S (11.1V) pack with a BMS and with a molex connector to the charger (including thermal sensor, or 1-wire I2C)

Do you wish to charge the pack, or do you wish to simply harvest the cells? If the latter then you can charge them in any 18650 charger after removing them from the pack.

I'm looking to test the capacity and charge/discharge. The problem i'm having is i can't find a charger/discharger/capacity tester that has a connector for this battery and i can't identify its connector.

Also I'm confused on why it says its capacity is only 3077mah but when I look up the type of 18650 this battery pack uses it says thecapacity is3400mah. So wouldn't the capacity be 3400 x3 since its a 3 cell?

Thanks!

You probably aren't going to find a charger/discharger specifically for that device.

It looks to me that Black is Negative and Red is Positive. The White wire is probably either temperature sensor, 1-wire comms protocol, or just a sense wire to detect if the bms is on or off and trigger an LED on the device this was in.

If you get >10V between Red/Black, you should be able to charge/discharge with those pins. If not, then the BMS is probably dead and would be tossed anyways.
If you want to charge/discharge each cell, then as OffGridInTheCity states using an Opus charger or other similar charger that can do 18650 lithium-ion cells.

Zookie said:
I'm looking to test the capacity and charge/discharge. The problem i'm having is i can't find a charger/discharger/capacity tester that has a connector for this battery and i can't identify its connector.

If the 3rd (white?) wire is for temp (vs. 1-wire communication), then you should be able to (dis)charge through the other two. Otherwise you are probably out of luck without knowing the specific protocol.

The connector looks like a common Molex form that you should be able to find on Digikey, Mouser etc. But it should be easy to jury rig a connection for testing.

Zookie said:
Also I'm confused on why it says its capacity is only 3077mah but when I look up the type of 18650 this battery pack uses it says thecapacity is3400mah. So wouldn't the capacity be 3400 x3 since its a 3 cell?

The 3 cellsare in series so the capacity is the same as that of a single cell, i.e. it's a 3S pack: 11.1V, 3400 mAh.

As for 3077 vs 3400, it could be that they are not fully charging them (to get better lifetime), or that they are being used at around 4A, where they have that lower capacity.

What device is that pack used in?

You could potentially just hook each cell up with alligator clips to a tester and test it out. Ie test one cell at a time.

Beware some electronics doesnt like that (Read laptop packs) and could potentially disable themselves.

Back