Battery capacity ?

Jay Gelber

I am a new member and harvesting cells 18650s for an ebike aux. Battery . 52 V. 15 amp.
Does anyone know the capacity of this 3.7 li-ion cell?
RHYA45 HS1865 -A Li-ion
ICNMR19/66 Date code 120718. grey sleeve with black Positive insulator ring on top.

Thanks ,
Jay Gelber

First, welcome
Second, Check the Cell Database
Third, only *you* can tell what the actual capacity is by charging it to 4.2V, then discharge at a specific current over time till it reaches about 3.2V.

To start your 18650 journey, three key devices are recommended:
- a multimeter
- a charger that can measure capacity for you eg Opus BT3100 v2 (and others) (automatically test capacity)
- a meter to measure the cells internal resistance "IR" eg a YR1030 (and others) (quickly find bad cells before even starting to charge)

To determine what capacity they should have is pretty easy.

You have the 15Ah spec.

Divide that by the number of cells in parallel (like 5 or how many they are) and you have the rating of a single cell.

5 parallels at 15Ah means 3000mAh per cell. More in parallel, less mAh/cell.

Opus is always first mentioned but a more economical choice is Litokala tester which does a good job for less money. Anyone have experience with some of the 8-place testers here and here that are coming out?

Liitokala is not generally more cost effective and it lack some functions. Its cheaper due to some reasons...

Lii is only 500mA and Opus is 1A. 1A tests a cell better in terms of overall performance and their life
Testing in 1A also takes half the time so you basically test 2x as many cells with the opus.

So whats most costeffective was cheapest are 2 things :)

My Litokalas are all 1 amp and I'm not sure what functions you are referring to. Charge, discharge, IR and full cycle and report are there. Hmm...... It's been all I've needed. In fact one of mine now has leads with alligator clips soldered on to the motherboard for cycling prismatics. A very easy modification. I expected IR to go crazy with the leads. Not so much.

JayGelber said:
I am a new member and harvesting cells 18650s for an ebike aux. Battery . 52 V. 15 amp.
Does anyone know the capacity of this 3.7 li-ion cell?
RHYA45 HS1865 -A Li-ion
ICNMR19/66 Date code 120718. grey sleeve with black Positive insulator ring on top.

Thanks ,
Jay Gelber
Question:

The battery is 52V?
If that is the case and the cells are 3.7 nominal then it must be 14s.
Is the pack rated at 15A or 15Ah?
How many cells in parallel?
Do they look like this except they are gray?

image_ccpkar.jpg

Wolf

Diggsut when doing 4 cells its only 0.5A during discharge. The lack of function i talk about is the stresstest. The Lii have lower current during a cycle test and therefore i call it lack of function :)

You can ignore the IR test on those testers. They can vary 100% or more easily and are pretty of from the start. Get a 4-wire tester instead. :)

^^^ Some chargers support parallel discharging, so you can hook a single battery to all 4 slots to get 4x the max discharge rate (e.g. the Opus CT-3100 supports this - see here and here). If the Liitokala also supports thisthen you could get 2A max on one cell. But be careful testing for support since it could possibly damage the charger.

daromer said:
Diggsut when doing 4 cells its only 0.5A during discharge. The lack of function i talk about is the stresstest. The Lii have lower current during a cycle test and therefore i call it lack of function :)

You can ignore the IR test on those testers. They can vary 100% or more easily and are pretty of from the start. Get a 4-wire tester instead. :)

Hmmm..... Default is .5A but you can choose 1 amp through the menu for discharge and cycling.

Agreed - A four wire tester should be used for IR. I never put much faith in the absolute IR value other than relative to other cells being tested.

1a then its max 2 cells. As soon as you put in 4 cells the discharge goes down to 0.5. its also mentioned in the specifications.

Back