Watchmon 4 Can bus, anyone got it working?

FilipII

Ive been trying to connect my WM4 to Eltek Flatpack 2HE for a couple of weeks now but I have no luck getting the can bus to work, has anyone else sucessfully connected anything to the can bus of WM4?
I have tried three Flatpacks and none of them talks to the WM.
I think I have done all the correct settings and I have 120Ohm resistor on each end of the bus, making it a total of 60Ohm on the bus.

image_wzaiwm.jpg

image_lfmwve.jpg

image_ketehq.jpg

image_ccjeyv.jpg

In the remote settings you have to set the current scaling on 10 (not 100) and it should work.
It takes also a minute before the Eltek will turn on...

I have 3 of them running with no issues.

Thank you for your quick reply Wim! I followed Batriums FAQ on how to connect and do the settings to control the Eltek, there is says that the scaling must be 100, but Ive tried with 10 now and there is still no communication.
When I turn the power on the Eltek it takes less than five seconds for it to push out over 40 amps...

Wim, you have Watchmon 1, right? Im thinking that maybe there is a glitch in the WM4 new firmware...

Yep, a (ooooollllld)WM1 so a bug in the WM4 is possible, but i tought i have seen a post from Jaron where he sayd the use of the flatpack is still possible.... not sure if there is someone using this combination.
I remember one sitting on the desk with Peter, and a WM4 on the wall in one of his later vids, so maybe he is busy with it also

But while waiting on a responcefrom another proud Watchmon4 owner ..... here are mine settings , and i have only theone resistor on the WM side connected ... none on the flatpack side, this might do something. :)

( you have no tx/rx tics , so as you sayd there is no communication)

image_sseqfi.jpg

I can choose Flatpack2 HE in the hardware/integration menu so it's still supported.

Thank you again Wim, I have copied your settings and removed one resistor, but no luck yet again...

Fixed! I ordered one brand new Flatpack, when that one did not work either then I decided to push all the buttons I could, when I had pushed on both buttons on the watchmon, the communication started immediately! I have no Idea what the buttons are for but that dont matter for me now!

You are correct Wim, the current scaling must be set to 10, otherwise the current will be to high, a little mishap on Batriums faq.

What is the flatpack used for? Are you charging your batteries from the grid with this box?

gpn said:
What is the flatpack used for? Are you charging your batteries from the grid with this box?

Sort of, you can say, I have a little different approach than most others, I already had a solar array with a real good working inverter so I did not want to buy a hybrid inverter for that reason, and a couple of other reasons for that matter...
I have a smart meter in series with the grid meter, and when the export exceeds my threshold the Flatpack goes to work, and in the evening when the smart meter sense import instead, the Flatpack turns off!

New project,
testing canbus with Batrium WM4Venus GX Victron Quattro 48V/5000/100-100.
+ 14S4P GS YUASALEV50N @200Ah 52.5V 10.5Kwh batterybank

OK got it working,...
at least I see in devices section of Venus the Batrium as battery,
see photo 1, + other screen shots,
only in Telemetry, "remote life" voltage actual + current actual when charging/discharging stays empty.

Q: did someone come across this??, andfound a way to solve this??

best Carel

image_siewxk.jpg

image_bmvxvj.jpg

image_jgbzhj.jpg

image_vltinb.jpg

image_nyefqz.jpg

image_zdmcya.jpg

image_fajtsq.jpg

image_wbmwil.jpg

image_mpyjxv.jpg

CarelHassink said:
New project,
testing canbus with Batrium WM4Venus GX Victron Quattro 48V/5000/100-100.
+ 14S4P GS YUASALEV50N @200Ah 52.5V 10.5Kwh batterybank

OK got it working,...
at least I see in devices section of Venus the Batrium as battery,
see photo 1, + other screen shots,
only in Telemetry, "remote life" voltage actual + current actual when charging/discharging stays empty.

Q: did someone come across this??, andfound a way to solve this??

best Carel

image_siewxk.jpg

image_bmvxvj.jpg

image_jgbzhj.jpg

image_vltinb.jpg

image_nyefqz.jpg

image_zdmcya.jpg

image_fajtsq.jpg

image_wbmwil.jpg

image_mpyjxv.jpg

The actualsreported come from the Victron inverter,the remotetargetsare sent from the BMS.

Screen shotsdo not show any obvious gapsfrom the the step by step guide
https://www.batrium.com/pages/how-to-control-victron-ccgx-with-watchmon

Can yousend us your snapshot report via email to have a look at you configuration and the live telemetry
https://www.batrium.com/pages/understanding-the-snapshot-capture-report

Jaron,
Thanks for the support offered,

but while discharging battery bank to empty, with the 2Kw electric heater,we ran into an issue,
Gigavac contactor had welded contacts,
and system was not shutdown @2.75V cell voltage, had to manually flip the breaker fuse....

Now, before taking the snapshot, need to replace main contactor,
will not use the other Gigavac (rated 150A too) as shown in photo's,
clearly I need something bigger.

I'll present the snapshot of system later this day.

Carel

I have had good success with the LSIS GER250 contactors, they have integrated pre-charge gubbins and magnetic arc extinguishing. Well built, cheap off eBay from a guy in the UK.

HughF said:
I have had good success with the LSIS GER250 contactors, they have integrated pre-charge gubbins and magnetic arc extinguishing. Well built, cheap off eBay from a guy in the UK.

Given Carel's challenges I may need to look at other contactor options. Don'tsuppose you would have a link to these units?

gregoinc said:
HughF said:

Given Carel's challenges I may need to look at other contactor options. Don'tsuppose you would have a link to these units?

Hugh passed me the details of person with surplus LSIS relays, he's very helpful but I was looking for 48v coils.

I've ended up using a number of these Kilovac units - there's another seller selling these fairly cheaply, again in the UK.

Search eBay for kilovacand you'll find some.

image_jdfokz.jpg

Those units looks interesting there Sean!

Sean said:
They are, be quick, he hasn't many left.

Couldn't find any in the UK that were anywhere near the price of those from the USA, so will continue looking. May have a lead on some in Australia, so will explore that as well. Did you say there were 48 volt units available, because I can only find 12 or 24 volt.

gregoinc said:
Sean said:
They are, be quick, he hasn't many left.

Couldn't find any in the UK that were anywhere near the price of those from the USA, so will continue looking. May have a lead on some in Australia, so will explore that as well. Did you say there were 48 volt units available, because I can only find 12 or 24 volt.

I'm still looking for some sensibly priced 48v version - these are 24v and will do for now.

I paid 30 ea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142976415783?ViewItem=&item=142976415783

Back