Battery Project

DCMurf

Hi everyone, new to the board and curious about a project. I have a small boat and use an electric motor on it with a lead acid battery. I'm thinking of building a 12V 18650 battery with similar ah but haven't done anything with this yet. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos and have a decent idea of what I should be doing but wanted to see if anyone has done this before and especially if anyone is based in the Northern Virginia area in the US who might be able to walk me through some stuff in person. Thanks in advance!

I built a 4s40p pack in an ammo box and used it for a 42# thrust Minnkota trolling motor. They were literally my worst cells too (1100-1700mah) It works great and lasts quite a while on full blast in my case. I'm in northern Iowa.

mr_hypno said:
I built a 4s40p pack in an ammo box and used it for a 42# thrust Minnkota trolling motor. They were literally my worst cells too (1100-1700mah) It works great and lasts quite a while on full blast in my case. I'm in northern Iowa.

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you know the approximate weight of the battery, can, etc? Any issues with weatherproofing or anything like that?

Thanks for the reply! Any idea of approximate weight? Trying to figure out how much weight will be gained in the boat with ditching lead acid. Also any issues with weatherproofing?

Mine weighed roughly 25lbs finished. There is absolutely no safety built in. The 40p packs are spotwelded with nickel strip and the buss bars are directly connected to the bulkhead terminals I built to go through the wall of the ammo can. It is completely water proof! Ill see if I can fetch a pic or 2.

image_bnxvcx.jpg

image_fozulx.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for the info and the pics. Is this a design you'd trust to expand? If I was looking at powering something like a 24/48v torqeedo and wanted to run several smaller, lightweight 12v batteries in series would something like basic 18650 used cell be trustworthy?

Many people in the forum have huge 18650 packs running no problem.
Please put a fuse &/or DC breaker in anything you make.
You really don't want to short any of these....

Absolutely! Is there anyone in the Washington DC area who's building battery packs who wouldn't mind showing a newbie a thing or two?

Back