cell counter feature request [DEPRICATED]

DCkiwi

BUG REPORT -- URGENCY LOW: oh, and BTW, it seems the search function is 'broken'. Isearched for "cell counter" and got duplicate search result (!!) WHICH WERE WRONG. how? it said that two different members authors the same thread. Only one OP per thread, right?

EDIT: I realise now that this (above) may in fact NOT be a bug, as I had assumed (wrongly!) that when two results with the same thread title were displayed, that it had dup's in results. I thought 'author' (column) was referring to the OP, not the poster of the result in search. my bad. maybe?? hmmmm.

FEATURE REQUEST -- URGENCY MEDIUM: a sort function on cell counter page, IE by another column than the cell count, which is the current/default/only order available.

I'm specifically keen to be able to do it by country.

Thankyou for your consideration.

TO ALL READING: please consider adding your count to the list. its easy. you've done the hard work already. its a great way to meet people and share your progress. EG when I first started, I looked up the leaderboard, picked a high ranking member in my country, and they helped me out with encouragement and in sourcing laptop batteries. Brilliant!

Problem with sorting via country is that a lot of people don't include their country in their profile stats. Which is something I think is pretty petty not to do. I can understand someone leaving out the city, but the country is a huge place. And if it's fear of discrimination or ridicule, the offender will be banned.

As far as sorting goes, I agree there should be other sort options, as well.

Korishan said:
Problem with sorting via country is that a lot of people don't include their country in their profile stats. Which is something I think is pretty petty not to do.

True dat ... but I think we would also agree that this is a relatively small percentage that for whatever reason leave their location a blank on the counter page. In any case .. this could also be 'useful' IE they're not making efforts to meet and greet etc.

If people are genuinely forgetting, then a simple 'nudge' by way of automagic suggestion from server side should fix that up. ESPECIALLY if they already have the country on their profile. Funnily enough, my experience is that members are more likely to put country on their leaderboard entry that on their profile ... the only thing I can think of is that as people get more comfortable with the forum, they relax and open up and join the leaderboard, but never return to update their profile after initial registration. I would encourage all active members to review their profile regularly.

And something I have been really wanting for a long time now, but thought it not worth mentioning, but here I am posting, so ...

Yeah I know that its REAL NICE not having to scroll in 2axis at the mo. Sure Columns are a premium, BUT ... there are solutions to that also, EG having checkboxes to pick which columns are displayed, or having a 'basic' list and 'advance' (full) list ... or just having the existing stuff to the left, and any new fancy fluffy stuff to the right ....

How about another column for 'harvested, tested and on hot standby' ?
I think perhaps that the existing column would best be renamed to this, and then the 'new' column being 'in production'.

Heres some of the reasons why:

1/ as we all know, harvesting of cells is like a straight line (on a graph), whereas production count is more like a 'stepped' line, IE jumping in big numbers very infrequently.

2/ then there are 'special' cases like me and some others who use cartridge style packs -- they are VERY easy to expand or reconfigure, or RELOAD. I have hundreds of cells sitting at 3.92V ready to rock. many many times I make up a temporary battery, small and not so small, from this very ready stock. currently there is no way to differentiate how many are live ... I consider them all to be in 'production'.

... this is all very clumsy feeling, trying to explain in text. I hope it made sense anyways.

Yeah, when I say "a lot of users", I kinda mean close to half or more ;)

Korishan said:
Yeah, when I say "a lot of users", I kinda mean close to half or more ;)

I just counted fourteen empty spots .... from SEVERAL PAGES of members.

Are wetalking about the same page?

Personally, I have NEVER seen it that bad (50% location not disclosed). EVER. So I'm a little confused by your comment.

Back to you ...

DCkiwi said:
Are wetalking about the same page?

Personally, I have NEVER seen it that bad (50% location not disclosed). EVER. So I'm a little confused by your comment.

Back to you ...

No, I was looking at the Users page that shows all users on the forum. It doesn't show by location. It's been awhile since I used the Cell Counter page and didn't recall there was a field there that required Location.
But it's all good. As mike says, it's being redone anyways :)

Korishan said:
It's been awhile since I used the Cell Counter page and didn't recall there was a field there that required Location.
But it's all good. As mike says, it's being redone anyways :)

Yeah, thats what I was getting at in my previous post ... its a seperate location value/field to the profile location data. And yeha, am looking forward to the upcoming revision, yay!

If you haven't checked it out lately, I suggest this thread. I think it makes a fascinating read, of all the 'first requests' for a country to be added. Especially interesting I think, going through the earlier posts, and seeing each respective members progress since they put their country 'on the map', so to speak.

In the past, banner adds showed how many 18650 cells that has been salvaged from the dust bin / land fills.

This was called the "cell counter". :)

It seems that some users wanted to boost their "capacity" by adding other sizes and chemistries.

This have now resultedin the present list, named "Project list".

In my opinion, afew problems, has arisen due to this change. :(

You can not recall the data from the old list, seek for LiIon, 18650,and several users show up with both their LiIon 18650sas well aswith their other cell sizes etc.

You can no longer alter the number of cells You have in use, nor can You alter the average cell capacity. :huh:

Only solution is to delete the whole project and reenter the correct data. :dodgy:

The new Project list contains lots of nice info, if You want to include this, but the clean cell counter is gone.

My proposal is, allocate one more web-page for the old "cell counter", and let the two lists exist side by side. :)

ChrisD

One list is enough to have.

Back