A new member, saying hello

JonSon

Hi all, this is John from the Central Coast of NSW, Australia. I picked up on this site, from watching many YouTube videos, and there is many to choose from. A special reach out to HBPowerwall. It was the descriptions in his videos, that led me to this web site.

The thought of harvesting free power has become an extreme interest to me. My passion in life is to settle down somewhere and be totally Off Grid. Living in NSW Australia, you always seem to be paying an extra tax, a hefty road toll or an increased charge for something that used to be a simple passage of life. The thought of being able to become somewhat self-sufficient is now my fuel to learning more about renewables.

I started my working life back in the early 80s, in the telecommunications industry. Back those days you actually built the communications circuits. Hauling cable, terminating equipment, setting things up the way the client needed it, was all in a days work. A little different to todays IP Telephony, but it gave me a foundation on what I now would like to embark on.
So, Ive joined up to this web site to learn, and start building my own little projects. I would like to learn how people have done it before. I would like to learn clues, advice, and Im sure the pitfalls, in renewable energy. Hopefully, slowly working up and achieving on where I would like to be.

So here is my first question to the forum. Im thinking of buying some 18650 cells from China. Any tips on who to buy from, or, is purchasing direct from China fraught with danger?
Or do you have any other tips on where to start?

JonSon said:
..............So here is my first question to the forum. Im thinking of buying some 18650 cells from China. Any tips on who to buy from, or, is purchasing direct from China fraught with danger?
Or do you have any other tips on where to start?

First of welcome aboard and dive in the water is warm.
I will leave the Chinacell question to the Chinacell experts but as far as I know the chinese cells are not that stellar. There may be some reputable sellers out there and I'm sure someone will let you know.
Personally I collect used laptop and medical packs once a month from a recycler that likes my project. Additionally every so often friends will give me a stray here and there as all of them are aware of my project so the "Word is out".

Good luck and have fun that's what it is all about.

Wolf

Back