Victron MultiPlus Inverters

SemaJG

Does anyone use Victron MultiPlus, in the end it seems to be the most capable / adaptable and stands the test of time with units I know lasting over ten years.

J

SemaJG said:
Does anyone use Victron MultiPlus, in the end it seems to be the most capable / adaptable and stands the test of time with units I know lasting over ten years.

J

I'm using MultiPlus IIs - grid parallel, with the energy meter, GX etc ... and Venus/ESS - AC coupled Fronius, DC coupled MPPT - other than it not being a cheap system, I cant fault it (and I'm fussy)

This, but not a Victron battery, and no critical loads - pluslots of AC & DC coupled wind.

image_stqexz.jpg

Very similar to the system I'm contemplating Sean. I imagine its a 5Kw Multiplus? What type of battery/s are your using?

J

My main home system has just over 130kWh of leaf cells, and a few MPII in parallel (the 3000va version) - elsewhere I have a mixture. The 5000va came out some time after the 3000va, I might have opted for the 5000va had it been initially available at home, but the ability to cascade them, beinggrid parallel makes the individual capacity a little irrelevant.

Yea was thinking the same re the 3 vs 5 Only reason I can think for using a 5000 would be for heavier loads with a higher start-up current (pumps etc) and in an emergency charging an EV. That's a hefty battery.

J

SemaJG said:
Yea was thinking the same re the 3 vs 5 Only reason I can think for using a 5000 would be for heavier loads with a higher start-up current (pumps etc) and in an emergency charging an EV. That's a hefty battery.

J

Peak power for the 3000va is 5000w and its 9000w for the 5000va - being grid parallel a single 3000va will happily run at max output for hours feeding my EVs - I've got free access to rapidsso minimal rate home charging is all I need at the moment.

I didnt realise a 3000 cold run at peak of 5000watts for that long. That just saved me a few quid :}

J

SemaJG said:
I didnt realise a 3000 cold run at peak of 5000watts for that long. That just saved me a few quid :}

J

Just to clarify, it's not a long period, more than enough to cope with in rush current - but seeing as these are usually grid parallel the grid does the work the MP cant.

Again, to clarify, my EVSe can be ramped down manually, but it and a single MP are very happy running at around 2.3kW which is about the 3000va max output.

Think the key when charging an EV on a home micro generation charged battery system is to have it there at peak solar/wind either using a dedicated circuit or smart Zappi charger to max the use of home generated power. In this way the battery is hardly used at all. I don't see Victron gear as being too expensive when you hear of the life-cycle of their products. Most EV's can handle charge down to about 1Kw before the charger cuts off. The Zappi manages this very well from what I see from users online drawing from the grid to keep the charge session alive when home produced power falls below the threshold. With larger batteries (40Kw +) on the new wave of EV's its not practical to draw from most home batteries alone to charge the car daily. Let the grid do the heavy lifting and fill the gaps with home produced energy where possible running household circuits.
For most homes a 3Kw or even 5Kw MultiPlus is a very flexible option in that respect.

J

I have a Zappi, it gets very confused trying to use anysurplus that would otherwise be exported, while Victrons ESS is trying to balance grid import at zero (by using inverted power) - plus the Fronius OhmPilot wanting to divert to resistive heating.

This is the old Zappi I guess? I think they are releasing an updated version in a month or two.

J

SemaJG said:
For most homes a 3Kw or even 5Kw MultiPlus is a very flexible option in that respect.

Indeed, once you go blue you'll never go back.

SemaJG said:
This is the old Zappi I guess? I think they are releasing an updated version in a month or two.

J

It's an early one, and to be fair my application isnt quite what it was designed for. In a simple installation with just PV or other SEG they are functional (the remote self powered CT is very unreliable) - the new version is just an 18th Edition upgrade, its USP being no rod required. Theres been a lot of promises coming from MyEnergi in terms of data logging and apps, but they seem good at forgetting what they've promised in the past - as per the PV to immersiondiversion product they were previously involved with, that ended badly.

Back