Do you use "china" cells ins your powerwall?

drbacke

I've currently a bunch of ASO and DLGcells. All with >2000mAh and small IR.The capacity tests made in this forum are quite promising.
But I'm not sure if its safe to use them or not?
I ask myself if the overpressure valve and the CID are well designed or not.
Maybe someone has experience with this kind of cells? Or who is actually using them or not?

I personally don't use them and try to avoid them as much as possible.
When I go on my cellpack runs I get to choose what I get and always go for name brandand OE battery packs.
When I first started harvesting I was a noob and didn't know that aftermarket replacement batteries had "chinese" cells in them.
Some of them tested OK but a lot of them did not. I now even turn my nose at replacementcells given to me by friends who know I am collecting these things. I do take them out of gratitude though as they don't know the difference unless educated.
I know one of the board members (Dallski) is doing a long term test on a set of them you can follow his progress here.

All in all if you have a good supply of genuine cells I would leave the chinese ones a good leaving alone.
But if you don't have a good supply and that's all you can get then by all means. Just know what you are getting and treat them accordingly.

Quick note tough. All chinese Li-ionmanufacturers are not created equally some of them do give a hoot and produce some very good cells but those are far and few between and I cant think of any names right now.

Wolf

One should stop naming them China cells. Most good cells are manufactured there too.

I prefer calling them ultrafakes (given all ultrafire fakes).

ALL of my Chinese purchase attempts of 18650 cells have been fakes, untrue specs, bait and switch (how about 10% off because of 40% less ah than we said) , and therefore (to me) unusable.

There is "Made in China" batteries, then there's "Chinesium" batteries. Just because it was made there doesn't make it an inferior product.

The problem with a lot of "Cheap" products from China that turns out to be less quality, is the way that the cheaper items are made. These items are made on the same assembly lines as the "Real, Legit, Authentic" items but made during the off hours when there are different crews running the factory. This is just one method, there are several.

However, that does not excuse the untrue specs, bait and switch, etc. I agree that there are scammers that come from China. But to call "All" China products fake is not a good practice. To call Cheap Chinese products bad would be more accurate, but still not fully correct. This is where it makes it difficult to determine what's good and what's not.

Another problem is that there are plenty of sellers who will sell the same item across a wide range of prices. I have seen several products (exact same stock photos and wording in the description) go from $5 to $20 or more. I think the widest range I've seen was over a $40 spread on the seller price. Again, this makes it very difficult to determine which item is legit and which one is the scammer.

Also, it is quite possible that some of the scammers aren't even in China themselves, but they just put that information in the account info. Further muddying the waters.

Chinesium -An element not found on the periodic table. A crappy metal, plastic, or chemical substance made in China in the manufacture of many Chinese exports. Exposure is imminent in ones lifetime and may strike with or without warning.

Chinesium can display a variety of unique properties and is found in abundance. With exposure side effects vary greatly depending on the user. If you experience any of the following symptoms, you may be at risk and should seek a dumpster or a certified R2 recycling facility immediately.

Side effects include: Annoyance, fear, loss of sleep, burning sensation, loss of revenue, reduced net worth, poor conductivity or connectivity, high resistance, ridicule by peers, loss of limb, or death.

Always use personal safety equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, and respiratory protection when handling Chinesium.

If you have direct contact with Chinesium, STOP, DROP, AND ROLL.

Should you find Chinesium and are unsure of what to do: STOP, DONT TOUCH, CALL AN ADULT.

Photo Example:
Left -Real meter leads
Right -Chinesium meter leads

image_cxrmzu.jpg

@MilkMan I have seen several quality Chinese brands that were even used in laptop batteries; they had the stated capacity.
If I still have some on stock I'll be able to post a pic of them.

Overmind said:
@MilkMan I have seen several quality Chinese brands that were even used in laptop batteries; they had the stated capacity.
If I still have some on stock I'll be able to post a pic of them.

The problem is distinguishing the quality Chinese brands from the junk. I'd estimate 95% of them are junk, so good luck determining which cells are the good ones. ;)

Back