Forklift Battery Potential

Nemo

I've got a line on 2 forklift batteries. They are relatively new (3 years), but probably not well maintained. I believe I can get them fairly cheaply because the seller just wants them gone and doesn't seem to know their value. Charger is not available as far as I'm aware.Battery Specs are:
Type: DEKA 18-D125-15
Nominal Voltage: 36 V
Rated 6 Hr. A.H. Capacity: 875 A
Finish Rate: 44 Amps
Full charge Specific Gravity: 1.280-1.295

This would seem like a shortcut to setting up a beefybehind-the-meter system, but there are ALWAYS details and shortcuts are never as short as they first appear. I didn't think I'd be in this position for years, and even then with Li-ion, so I'm tossing it out to others who may have some good considerations. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of the info I'd like to make a decision, like household peak/total power draw, solar availability throughout the yearetc.I am also trying to educate myself through other sites, but I value the feedback from this community most.

Key Questions
- Are there easy ways to check/confirm ballpark SOH without a full charge/discharge?
- Can I use in a grid tied, behind-the-metersolar set-up at 36V or should I consider rewiring the two batteries into one larger 24V system?
- Is this too big? I thought there might be limitation with lead-acid that there aren't with Li-ion

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sean said:
Yes, they'll be usable - but how cheap is cheap ?

My understanding is that they're going to scrap them when they do their annual yard clean-up, so cheap = potentially free. This sounds great of course, but I'm not really prepared and if they turn out to be boat anchors, or I can't do anything with them for a year or two and they become boat anchors I've taken on the cost to get rid of them. Each weighs in at 2480 lbs (1125 kg) so we're talking pretty big potential anchors.

They'll have a scrap value, even if they have been destroyed through neglect - if you can measure a reasonable voltage across each cell theres a good chance they'll perk up under a hefty charge.

If you dont take them quickly someone else will, forklift batterys are quite sought after.

I was trying to get a pair for FL batteries from a local store. They've had them sitting in the back room for almost a year (one of them actually is over a year). But they won't let me have them due to "Liability concerns". Another manager said that a Hazmat license would be needed. So, I'm going to see about getting that license, as it costs <$100. Worth it to get a pair of batteries for free.

As Sean said, even if they are duds, they have scrap value. The steel is worth a good price, and the lead is worth a good price. So in either situation, they were worth some sort of value, either electrical value, or monetary value. Go for it!

It's great that you've found a potential opportunity with those forklift batteries. Here are some thoughts: To check the State of Health (SOH) of the batteries without a full charge/discharge, you can use a battery tester or a multimeter to measure voltage and specific gravity. However, for a more accurate assessment, a full battery cycle test is recommended. Using these batteries in a grid-tied, behind-the-meter solar setup at 36V is possible, but you might need an inverter that can handle this voltage. Rewiring them into a larger 24V system is also an option if it suits your setup better. For more detailed guidance and insights, I suggest you click here. You might find a lot of helpful information and discussions within the community to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
I've got a line on 2 forklift batteries. They are relatively new (3 years), but probably not well maintained. I believe I can get them fairly cheaply because the seller just wants them gone and doesn't seem to know their value. Charger is not available as far as I'm aware.Battery Specs are:
Type: DEKA 18-D125-15
Nominal Voltage: 36 V
Rated 6 Hr. A.H. Capacity: 875 A
Finish Rate: 44 Amps
Full charge Specific Gravity: 1.280-1.295

This would seem like a shortcut to setting up a beefybehind-the-meter system, but there are ALWAYS details and shortcuts are never as short as they first appear. I didn't think I'd be in this position for years, and even then with Li-ion, so I'm tossing it out to others who may have some good considerations. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of the info I'd like to make a decision, like household peak/total power draw, solar availability throughout the yearetc.I am also trying to educate myself through other sites, but I value the feedback from this community most.

Key Questions
- Are there easy ways to check/confirm ballpark SOH without a full charge/discharge?
- Can I use in a grid tied, behind-the-metersolar set-up at 36V or should I consider rewiring the two batteries into one larger 24V system?
- Is this too big? I thought there might be limitation with lead-acid that there aren't with Li-ion

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
did you ever get these boat anchors?

No there is not...
There are "testers" that test the "short circuit" of lead acid.
Car dealers determinate with that tester if it will have enough juice to get the starter round.

Only if you can get them for twice the scrap heap price or less i would give it a go.

They are three years of age, most lead acid will last 10 years when well maintained.
Forklift cells will not last 5 years total with normal use.
Both are not used in a powerwall......
I think in a powerwall and well taking care of they could last for decades....
But then you must have the propper lead acid cells....
And not the ones that are suited for fast heavy power in short bursts...

What you could do to get a first impression: get the caps off (if possible) and see if the plates are not bended.
The plates must be straight!
Every lead acid will and can survive some dry periods.

IR in lead acid...i really dont know.
All the facts know to me i stated in the above.

Before i forget:
Most all lead acid can not do more than 50% of there total capacity in storage.....so 100Ah 12v can give max 50Ah 12v
Deep cycles cells can give up to 80%
Starter lead acid new....40%

Been there Done that...sorry man, but i had fun on festivals in my vw camper!

Cheers

23 July 2019:eek::eek::eek: first post in this topic.... never heard from him again sinds oct 20, 2021.
:cool::cool:🤣🤣🤣

Back