Nicd battery

Zalos

I have 1000 nicd sub c 1.2 v never use them but are 6 years on the shelf
Is any way to bring them back on life again?

Zalos said:
I have 1000 nicd sub c 1.2 v never use them but are 6 years on the shelf
Is any way to bring them back on life again?
charge them slowly.then run a few charge discharge cycles.
btw they are probably ok if a good brand.
had some sanyo 2000mah high rate cells that were nos.
10 years on shelf.
all were around .9v
3 cycles and full capacity.

I tried this
Slow on both. Less than 500 mA on discharge and start with 10mA on charge from 0v and slowly increase to 100 mA after cell gets to 0.5v to 0.9v. After 1.0v I normally charge it (recommended for NiCd is 0.1C) so in my case of a 2400 mAh cell, 240 mA)
Helps but may be is a better way

Zalos said:
I tried this
Slow on both. Less than 500 mA on discharge and start with 10mA on charge from 0v and slowly increase to 100 mA after cell gets to 0.5v to 0.9v. After 1.0v I normally charge it (recommended for NiCd is 0.1C) so in my case of a 2400 mAh cell, 240 mA)
Helps but may be is a better way
what brand?
and they are at 0v?
are these new or used?

Weird that they still had 0.9V after all these years. In such a case they actually may be good quality cells that are entirely recoverable. Those you can normally charge as any NiCd.

For the 0V ones you can try a tesla zap (very high current zap to penetrate the formed deposits and resurrect them), then follow charging procedures.

Yes, most I've seen die-off to 0-Volts pretty quick. My recommendation is to recharge all NiCds every 6 months (new ones) / every 3 months (old ones) as they self-discharge at around 10-15% per month. If discharge to 0.9-1V, they will hold it there for a while after which they will start making chemical deposits on the inside and that will prevent them from being resurrected by normal charging.

Back