Grid charging options for battery bank

Panozguy

Hi folks, I'm trying to understand what the best options are for a 24VDC charger that runs from mains (in my case 120V single phase). Most of the options I see on Amazon are 5A or maybe 10. I'm referring to a charger that will refresh and keep the bank topped up after its been built - not the one that is used to spec out the individual cells going into the 100P packs.

For my LiFePO4 bank, I use a Progressive Dynamics (120VAC input) that can output up to 70A of DC current at 12-14 volts. The batteries I'm using can take that amount of charge without an issue (and in fact they love it). However, I'm new to 18650. Would a 50A charger do it?

The setup is 7S100P, 18650, roughly 200-215AH. No solar charging on this bank for the moment,although I wouldn't mind it in the future.If you could recommend a quality charger I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!

Panozguy said:
Hi folks, I'm trying to understand what the best options are for a 24VDC charger that runs from mains (in my case 120V single phase). Most of the options I see on Amazon are 5A or maybe 10. I'm referring to a charger that will refresh and keep the bank topped up after its been built - not the one that is used to spec out the individual cells going into the 100P packs.

For my LiFePO4 bank, I use a Progressive Dynamics (120VAC input) that can output up to 70A of DC current at 12-14 volts. The batteries I'm using can take that amount of charge without an issue (and in fact they love it). However, I'm new to 18650. Would a 50A charger do it?

The setup is 7S100P, 18650, roughly 200-215AH. No solar charging on this bank for the moment,although I wouldn't mind it in the future.If you could recommend a quality charger I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!
There are many choices - aniCharger X8https://www.amazon.com/iCharger-Lilo-Battery-Charger-1100W/dp/B07Q8WP4RN is a good quality, cheaper, generally useful charger/discharger that many use for DIY battery work andwould work for this. It doesneed a power supply - but many chargers are like that. However, a healty LifePo4 battery should hold it charge for months.... e.g. trickle charge should not be needed.

OffGridInTheCity said:
Panozguy said:

Thanks for your time!
There are many choices - aniCharger X8https://www.amazon.com/iCharger-Lilo-Battery-Charger-1100W/dp/B07Q8WP4RN is a good quality, cheaper, generally useful charger/discharger that many use for DIY battery work andwould work for this. It doesneed a power supply - but many chargers are like that. However, a healty LifePo4 battery should hold it charge for months.... e.g. trickle charge should not be needed.
I just had a thought - I guess I need to consider the C on these. I think the 18650 guys normally chargelike .5C to 1C depending on how much tolerance there is for battery lifespan. So in a 100P configuration of ~2000 mAh cells, that's 200-ish Ah. 1C of that would be 100A - right? LOL I'm reaching back to my RC days. Appreciate the input, OffGridInTheCity.

Never mind - I figured out what to do. Bought a couple of HP server power supplies and going to series them together for 24V/100A. Problem solved, $25! :) Add an iCharger X8 and voila.

Hope you know that you have to isolate the grounds from the case on the 2nd unit. Otherwise if they touch, you could let the angry pixies and the magic smoke out.

Korishan said:
Hope you know that you have to isolate the grounds from the case on the 2nd unit. Otherwise if they touch, you could let the angry pixies and the magic smoke out.
Yes actually, I did - but I appreciate the reminder! :)

IF you tester the cells at 1a then. Yes 1a per cell. IF that was 0.5...

Back