Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18650 trolling battery solar charging
(07-04-2020, 12:52 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: Did you get a chance to try it out?   How did it perform with your motor?  did it provide as much run-time as you'd hoped?

Agree with @Crimp Daddy on 'direct alternator charging' - not good for the battery or the alternator.  Part of the reason is that lead-acid is high resistance to charge - e.g. its hard to push amps into it and the alternator is tuned for that.   The Lithium-ion has no such problem and can just suck amps - possibly overloading your alternator.   Here's a reasonabl youtube explaining things..   https://youtu.be/jgoIocPgOug

Also, @Crimp Daddy makes a great point on RC charger.

No haven't tried it yet, I'm leaving tomorrow so will find out how it works in a few days.

As far as the RC charger goes.. I ordered one that was AC and also took DC input as well and that was my backup for if there was a lack of sun. I was going to attach the lead acid to the RC charger to then charge the LI packs. And I could quickly throw the lead acid on the jumper cables to keep it topped off.. Unfortunately Amazon had lost my order and it looks like I will leave on the trip before it arrives.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 18650 trolling battery solar charging - by dbldrew - 07-04-2020, 01:10 AM