Electric vehicle battery

400bird

I know lots of guys here use 18650's so this may not fit.

But, I would prefer to repurpose and EV battery.

The Chevy Bolt has a pretty appetizing looking pack in my eyes.

60 kwis way more than I need for my house, but I was hoping to buy a pack, built two (or 3 ;)) 14s modules and sell the rest.

I have done lots of searching and not seeing much of anything for projects or tear downs on the battery. Battery hook up had some incorrectly built packs. But, I can't figure out why the tore them down to sell individual cells.

Thanks for your input.

There are "lots" of people here who have bought EV battery skids and repurposed for powerwall application. So I doubt your idea won't fit ;)
This would be making the Bolt battery skid, have a second life on storage, hence the name of the site ;)

400bird said:

60 kwis way more than I need for my house, but I was hoping to buy a pack, built two (or 3 ;)) 14s modules and sell the rest.

I have done lots of searching and not seeing much of anything for projects or tear downs on the battery. Battery hook up had some incorrectly built packs. But, I can't figure out why the tore them down to sell individual cells.

Thanks for your input.
if ircc the modules were in a 16s2p design with a break after the 10th cell(2p) then another 6 cells. without breaking the module down to the individual cells(2p) you can't easily get 7s 14s if not broken down. as most lead based inverters are 12, 24, 48 with a few 36v ones the only configuration that fits that is the 10s section of the module. now you can have 24v with a 6s pack and 48v with a 12s pack the voltage is not ideal.
later floyd

Thanks for the support Korishan. I suppose I just see a lot more activity on the small cylindrical cells.

Floyd
I believe there are 8 modules of 10s3p and 2 modules 8s3p
I might have the series/parallel order backwards. Not sure which goes first...

I believe it would split out into even numbers of series cells just need to cut the bus bar where I will split the module. The cells are in the holders in pairs, but 3 are parallel in each cell. So 3 holders gets you 6 cells in 2s3p. So 14s should work just about like breaking up a Volt pack. At least that is the hope.

I am looking to go 48v, so perfect for a 14s!

Yes you are right on the size of the modules10s3p and 8s3p don't know where i remember 16s2p from.

Later floyd

Thanks!
The connection between cell groups is similar and I'll probably be cutting them about the same. The cell holders are different.

400bird said:

Thanks for your input.
Ive been using 16s2p volt packs for 2 years.. I really like them.. they were low mileage (below 20,000).. the stay perfectly balanced.. there are inverters that work very well with 16s (60v) Ev packs.. outback, manga, victron, reliable, and a few others. No bars need to be cut. The system can run more efficiently with a higher voltage battery.

Doin it said:
400bird said:

Thanks for your input.
Ive been using 16s2p volt packs for 2 years.. I really like them.. they were low mileage (below 20,000).. the stay perfectly balanced.. there are inverters that work very well with 16s (60v) Ev packs.. outback, manga, victron, reliable, and a few others. No bars need to be cut. The system can run more efficiently with a higher voltage battery.

I really wanted to run a 16s battery. But, I couldn't pull it off. My requirements are complicated. I am in California and will be permitting the system, so it needs to be a rule 21 compliant, UL listed inverter that can frequency shift to control the solar inverter output. Also, we are using this for backup power for the house, so the transfer switch needs to be built-in.

Plus, there are some code requirements start to change as you get above 50v nominal.

I could have probably done Victron, but the temperature derate/output drops enough at ambient summer temperatures that it would require more inverters.

Back