Another step to a energy independent holiday resort

Roland W

Hi everyone. As my holiday resort in Thailand is basically running all on PV energy during the day times already, i have now started a DIY powerwall project to use excessive power as well in the night. Grid connected, intelligent metering and controlling, DIY from A-Z,... it would be great if some of you find it interesting an follow me on my YouTube by watching my episodes of "The AC-Powerwall Project". Thanks

German or where are you from? :)

Austria :)

It is done!

... well, DIY projects are never really done, but once you wrote a manual for something, then it is very close to done. Right?

I have started to build my AC-(coupled)-Powerwall in the midst of the pandemic, because... I had time. But mostly that time was
waisted for waiting on certain stuff from china. I thing the longest shipment took about 3 months. I could have walked faster to Shenzhen and back to pick it up personally. But yeah, the borders here had been anyways closed and still are.

In the meantime, the Powerwall has recovered more then 1200 kWh of energy, which would else gone free of charge to our utility. 6% of the investment already recovered. And that was during shitty Monsoon months.

The goal was to be more sustainable in our operation. Did we succeed? The extra storage pushed us above 50% Solar/Grid energy. So we really are green. The funny thing in Thailand is, that we still belong to the group of first movers, and in terms of home storage even to the group of innovators. That is how far back this country is, stuck in their fossil fuel addiction, fed through corruption.

So please, whoever this might serve. Feel free to take as much support and knowledge, files and documentation out of it. If I can do it, you can do it too!
But who are the people who could or should have an AC-coupled-Battery system? Please answer the 3 questions below. If all answers are Yes, then you might consider it.
1. Only with existing PV system: I do have a grid-tied PV system, no net-metering contract, crappy feed-in tariff. My house is mostly unoccupied during daytimes (kids in school, adults working). I do export a lot of energy during those times for not a lot of gain
2. No PV system required: I really have access to cheap energy from my utility, but unfortunately its during times when I do not need any. And when I really do need a lot of energy, then its on crazy peek tariff
3. I want my grid! Black-outs are no issue in my area, I really want to recoup my investment. Still, an off-grid component can be included if needed

Here is the link to my GitHub repository with all files: https://github.com/RolandWukovits/AC-Powerwall
Here the link to the 23 Video Playlist on YouTube showing how to make it step by step:

Thanks to everyone who was part in this journey already!
Comments and suggestions highly welcome and appreciated! If you need a controller just tell me (of course on non-profit bases!)

Here the manual:

Attachments

• AC-Powerwall_Manual.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9829.jpg
    IMG_9829.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
mandatory Telsa logo.. subscribed :p

Back