Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
286Ah 10,5kWh capacitor heltec BMS powerwall
This is my main powerwall I will add more cells, more than 10 000pcs.
Heltec capacitor BMS is running very cool when touching it, and it balances 5.5A, 0,003v accuracy. It seems to be most lossless BMS ever made. I do not need Batrium bms anymore. 2800 cells in 14s 200p Easun solar 5kw. ANT BMS 200A 14s for temperature sensing and auto cut off, for discharging and charging.

(10-26-2020, 04:58 PM)Lithiumseller Wrote: This is my main powerwall I will add more cells, more than 10 000pcs.
Heltec capacitor BMS is running very cool when touching it, and it balances 5.5A, 0,003v accuracy. It seems to be most lossless BMS ever made. I do not need Batrium bms anymore. 2800 cells in 14s 200p Easun solar 5kw.

Is it the Active Balancer that is cool to the touch or the BMS. 
I looked on their website and don't see very good specs for what they are calling a BMS.

Is it programmable?
What's in an acronym?

Lets take for example BMS.
BMS (Battery Management System)

What does it mean?
To be sure it means a lot of different things.
In its most rudimentary form it means it manages your batteries and at least maintains an equalization of all the cells/packs.
That's it nothing more nothing less.

There is also the "BMS" that manages your charge cut off, discharge cut off, active /passive balancing temperature control and reporting. Most of them are through bluetooth and if you are not in the "bluetooth broadcast bubble you are out of luck. Takes a bit of programing and know how to get the info to a local database for later review but it is duable.

Then there is the "BMS" that does it all. Wifi connectivity,  charge controller integration and support, inverter integration and support, shunt trip and panic stop settings, cooling triggers , heating triggers, over and under voltage triggers for shunt trip and so on.

So the acronym "BMS" can mean a whole host of things. Whatever the "BMS' is, as long as you are comfortable with it, that is the important factor.

I for one want a 'BMS with as many options as possible to protect my valuable asset. My hard earned batteries that I spent countless hours testing and vetting to be sure that they can perform in my powerwall. I am certainly not going to trust them to a minimalistic "BMS".

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Heltec active balancer is cool, when touching it. Heltec BMS is not programmable it is actively balancing always no matter what cell voltage 1.8-4.5v discharging and charging always active.
You Still need a bms. Balancing is just a function within most bms system.

That balancer is not a bms though.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Looks like a very good start

Is that an ANt bms I see? 3rd pic
later floyd
(10-26-2020, 06:57 PM)floydR Wrote: Looks like a very good start

Is that an ANt bms I see? 3rd pic
later floyd
Yes I have ANT BMS for monitoring cells cut-off voltage and temperature, for security.
floydR and daromer like this post
So question I just thought of.... the pack is well balanced does the BMS run cooler?

Does active higher balance current have a 2nd benefit.  ...   Longer BMS life?
Thing is that an active balancer will transfer energy ALL the time. Its not much but its basically all the time (Of course based on voltage diff)
2nd life batteries will diff alot if you have a wide voltage span during daily use so you will balance alot... This wastes energy each day since they arent 100% efficient... A passive balancer only balances when they actively drift and that happens due to uneven packs or with self discharger..

Active balancer lengthen the discharge depth available but wastes a bit more energy over time
Passive balancer is the oposite.

Thats the difference on 2nd hand battery packs and im pretty confident that for most use cases active isnt needed since they cost more. The worst is that the cheaper ones hides how much they balance so you dont know how much they drift...

Still they have their use cases Smile

Higher balance current on active balancers makes it possible to discharge or charge faster in the ends.

you wont feel any heat on any balancer if you ask me. If you can do that they balance really hard and you have issues!
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(10-27-2020, 05:05 PM)Bubba Wrote: So question I just thought of.... the pack is well balanced does the BMS run cooler?

Does active higher balance current have a 2nd benefit.  ...   Longer BMS life?
Heltec capacitor active equalizer is running about temperature  like 25c, active balancer benefit is to have equal cycle life for lithium cells and when discharging there is no cell block what gets empty before others.