ANL Fuse vs. Mega-Fuse

Basti

Hey guys.

Am debating an what fuse (not breaker) to use for a 48V system.

Especially I would like to hear pro/con in regards to ANL fuses vs. Mega fuses.

My thoughts about Mega fuses:
Often are only rated with 32V DC, higher voltage ratings are available, but harder to find. Fuse holders usually are made out of black plastic, which is relative reluctant to crack while tightening screws.

My thoughts about ANL fuses:
Impossible to find any voltage specifications. All fuse holders I can find are clear plastic, which is usually somewhat prone to crack while tightening screws.

My question for you guys:
What would you use and why?

Thanks for reading ;-)

Renogy ANL gives specs. I use a 100a (Interrupt 500a) with 72v rating-https://www.renogy.com/20a-30a-40a-60a-100a-anl-fuse-set-w-fuse/
When I looked for ANL a couple of years ago, many struck me as 'flaky' / 'lack of specs' (e.g. Amazon) but since Renogy (a known solar name) gave actual specs I was comfortable with them.

I find Renogy as a brand that make cheap solar gizmos rather than something with anything substantial. If you're looking for ANL fuses, I'd trust Bussmann fuses.

HRC fuses might be better, again if you use fuses.
Your main battery disconnect should probably be a breaker so you can have a shunt trip coil attached, ie so the BMS can cut off the battery if needed..

gpn said:
Why do you want fuses instead of breakers?

Redpacket said:
HRC fuses might be better, again if you use fuses.
Your main battery disconnect should probably be a breaker so you can have a shunt trip coil attached, ie so the BMS can cut off the battery if needed..

I have the option with a Schneider NG125+coil, but somehow (for my "portable" power bank) I'm starting to lean towards a simple fuse, a simple manual power switch, and a high quality contactor (Gigavac), which will only engage as long as the (Simp-)BMS says so.

HRC fuse seems to be limited at 63A? I am planning on using a 200A fuse in a 48V system, which could go down to 38V (ModelS-Modules) and a 6000W peak inverter.

Back