"activate" a grid tie solar inverter with an off grid inverter on blackout.

2weiund2wanzig

Hey,
i have a grid tie inverter with solar panels.
It will shut down on blackout as it should to prevent electrical hazard.
But when we have a blackout it's worthlessWould it be possible to use a simple, battery driven,small poweroff grid inverter in case of blackout to "activate" our grid tie inverter? Of course i would deconnect my whole system from the grid in that case before i use the off grid inverter to "trigger" my grid tied inverter with 50hz.

Which grid tie inverter are you trying to activate when the grids down?
I read that some Outback offgrid inverters will allow a grid tie inverter to stay active when the grids down. Really tho this doesnt make sense because a grid tie inverter allows the grid to supply the power needed for start up surges. If the grids down then a lot of appliances etc will not be able to operate if they only have the amps available that a grid tie inverter can supply. Grid tie inverters do not put out a high amount of amps like an offgrid power inverter will.

If your referring to the GTIL2, some people say they have been successful doing what you want. I wouldnt recommend it. You could have magic smoke.

The GTIL2 can get its dc from a common battery voltage due to its low volt operating range. I purchased a small offgrid inverter to power my essential loads when the grids down. The offgrid inverter gets its dc from the same battery as the GTIL2. This is a much better way to still have power when the grids down - blackout

2weiund2wanzig said:
Hey,
i have a grid tie inverter with solar panels.
It will shut down on blackout as it should to prevent electrical hazard.
But when we have a blackout it's worthlessWould it be possible to use a simple, battery driven,small poweroff grid inverter in case of blackout to "activate" our grid tie inverter? Of course i would deconnect my whole system from the grid in that case before i use the off grid inverter to "trigger" my grid tied inverter with 50hz.
Look up mircogrids for insights on how to do as create a microgrid which is what you are trying to create.
later floyd

Get a proper hybrid inverter instead with battery you need battery in background and not just solar.

You must have a low frequency transformer isolated inverter , High frequency inverters will not work, ac coupling is quite easy after that... what ever excess power is generated will be injected (charge ) to your batteries... the next issue is regulating it, so as to not overcharge the batteries...

https://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1270.0

This may help you....

All the Victron multiplus' allow you to put grid tie on their output and regulate phase/volts to get the max out of them. Probably need quite a good battery though.

Back