Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"activate" a grid tie solar inverter with an off grid inverter on blackout.
Hey,
i have a grid tie inverter with solar panels.
It will shut down on blackout as it should to prevent electrical hazard.
But when we have a blackout it's worthless Would it be possible to use a simple, battery driven, small power off grid inverter in case of blackout to "activate" our grid tie inverter? Of course i would deconnect my whole system from the grid in that case before i use the off grid inverter to "trigger" my grid tied inverter with 50hz.
Which grid tie inverter are you trying to activate when the grids down?
I read that some Outback offgrid inverters will allow a grid tie inverter to stay active when the grids down. Really tho this doesn’t make sense because a grid tie inverter allows the grid to supply the power needed for start up surges. If the grids down then a lot of appliances etc will not be able to operate if they only have the amps available that a grid tie inverter can supply. Grid tie inverters do not put out a high amount of amps like an offgrid power inverter will.

If your referring to the GTIL2, some people say they have been successful doing what you want. I wouldn’t recommend it. You could have magic smoke.

The GTIL2 can get its dc from a common battery voltage due to its low volt operating range. I purchased a small offgrid inverter to power my essential loads when the grids down. The offgrid inverter gets its dc from the same battery as the GTIL2. This is a much better way to still have power when the grids down - “blackout”
(11-02-2020, 09:43 PM)2weiund2wanzig Wrote: Hey,
i have a grid tie inverter with solar panels.
It will shut down on blackout as it should to prevent electrical hazard.
But when we have a blackout it's worthless Would it be possible to use a simple, battery driven, small power off grid inverter in case of blackout to "activate" our grid tie inverter? Of course i would deconnect my whole system from the grid in that case before i use the off grid inverter to "trigger" my grid tied inverter with 50hz.
Look up mircogrids for insights on how to do as create a microgrid which is what you are trying to create.
later floyd
Get a proper hybrid inverter instead with battery you need battery in background and not just solar.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
You must have a low frequency transformer isolated inverter , High frequency inverters will not work, ac coupling is quite easy after that... what ever excess power is generated will be injected (charge ) to your batteries... the next issue is regulating it, so as to not overcharge the batteries...

https://www.anotherpower.com/board/index...pic=1270.0

This may help you....
completelycharged likes this post
I think it works !!!!
All the Victron multiplus' allow you to put grid tie on their output and regulate phase/volts to get the max out of them. Probably need quite a good battery though.