Contour camera gets 18650ed

Hey folks,
Another weird project. I have an old Contour Roam2 action cam that I recently decided to start using again. I've been using a Contour +2, but I recently "improved" the audio to the point where I don't have any now. So the Roam2 is coming to the rescue.

375bf0680bbfa0b257ecc7d543a3f7ad.jpg

In my humble opinion, there are really only two faults with the Roam2:
- The battery is not swappable. Changing the battery means dismantling the camera.
- The camera doesn't record while charging. So if the battery goes dead, you just have to wait.

There are workaround for this that I've heard, but what I'd really like is a swappable battery. For this camera, that means making it external. So that's what I'm setting out to do. And while I'm at it, may as well make the new battery an 18650 right?

Actually getting to the battery takes a bit of work.
30d59bc4961dcc8db9b73b6a72f8855b.jpg

Once inside though, the cell is extractable by a little prying to get it off the adhesive backing, and unplugging the connector. Since it's out, I went ahead and ran it through my Opus, and got 1260mAh. Still plenty of life left in the cell, so I'll keep it for a future project.
bce5d0839483da8c35f732e1e4eacb9a.jpg

You can see in the picture that the cell has a little BMS board, and a 3 pin JST connector. I believe the middle wire is for a temperature sensor. I did some looking around, and found on a motorcycle forum that the JST is a 1.5mm pitch. These connectors are so small, that I can't tell the difference between the 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5mm, so I'm glad I found that.

I was able to buy some connectors and wires, and I brought out my nifty little pin key set that I bought from China for a dollar.
b878f96d1a12015bcabaecbc6fa04087.jpg

The new BMS won't have a temperature sensor, so I wasn't sure if the camera would have an issue if it were missing. So for now, I made a simple battery connection with an 18650,
03319a2f0a2058ae403a43b2c1fc7d4e.jpg

I got the camera back together enough to try it out, and lo! It works. Doesn't care about the missing sense wire.
dd9990cdcfb16f342ad0a59fbde3920f.jpg

I put a hole in the side of the case for the wires to go through. I used a manual drill that, again, I bought cheap from China for just this sort of thing. I won't be able to use the mounting rails on that side anymore, but I never did anyway, so no big loss.
bf3fbf93dea02ba5dee1bcade64788ae.jpg

That's it for now. Next I want to make an enclosure for the battery, and add a BMS. Also mount it to the camera somehow.

Since the camera can't tell the difference between 3.7VDC from a battery, or a power supply, I may put a charge controller or direct supply barrel connector on it. I haven't worked out exactly what I want to do yet. The enclosure will need to be easily opened though, as I want to be able to swap out the battery when plugging it in is inconvenient.

Ok, here's what I decided to do.

I put a barrel connector on the side of the camera, and so now I can connect any battery or power supply I want. For now, I built a 1s3p battery with a tiny BMS into one of those Pegatron boxes I saved a while back.
2f096b7d1549c3356888cf9606fdd32f.jpg

33ae6bd9bde82c4e7cb35185068a57a1.jpg

With 6.4 Ah, this should last about 14 hours. The original cell only lasted 2-3 hours. I've never recorded for 14 hours in a day before, so that should be plenty, and I can top off the charge in between uses.

I don't know how well the hot glue will hold up. I can always replace it with epoxy later.

Back